Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 5 of 13
writes

You would make a good politician, in the way that you have learned nothing from history.
If smoking was banned tomorrow, a black market of such huge proportions that would leave class A drug smuggling in the background would instantly spring up, and it would spiral totally out of control.
Never heard of prohibition ? how did that stop drinking? It didn't, it just made a lot of criminal gangs very powerful
--
geoff

geoff wrote: in part

Yes. And some now, today, supposedly very respectable brewers and distiller families very rich! PS. A recent 'innovation' is to sell heavily taxed goods such as cigarettes and liquor to North American Indian reserves that in some case straddle the US-Canada border. The goods supplied are supposedly for use on the those reserves of course. Of course! Then 'white men' drive onto the reserve (are even encouraged to do so) and buy those products at much at lower price than in their own heavily taxed bordering countries. The Indians make a nice profit, the manufacturers sell more product without the hassle of tariffs, federal government taxes quotas etc. and the white men buy it cheaper. Hard to stop every vehicle entering leaving the reserves on a 24 hour basis eh? "No liquor or cigarettes officer; we are here just to play some games at the day/night bingo entertainment hall!" Which also makes a nice tax free profit for the reserve!
Terry wrote:

When I were a lad, the local lads used to make huge profits buying dope and bartering it for duty free whisky on the US airbases.
Boy them flyboys get high, don't they?

mean
here
I know that. I was making a hypothetical point to clarify a very simple point. That was obvious. Smoking should be away from the public. Non-smokers are the majority by far and we are being short changed by the government in allowing toxic smelly uncomfortable fumes to come into contact with us.

But IMM, Smokers ARE the Public.

Nope. Smokers are a minority.
And the Dunblane gun grab demonstrated quite ably what happens to minorities with percieved antisocial habits. Their rights are ignored.

Congratulations on this year's most lateral thinking.
--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Hardly. The Government is always trumpeting how democracy protects the rights of minorities. Yeah, right. Right up until the moment they decide that particular minority is no longer worthy of protection.

The 'public' is made up of innumerable minorities, just about all of us are members of some minority or other. Just because something is a minority interest/pastime/hobby/addiction it shouldn't therefore be banned.
I'm not taking sides in the smoking discussion though.

writes:

If what this minority does impairs the health of others, then they must not come in contact of the greater public when exercising their activity. It is very simple, not complicated at all.

It's certainly simple to a simple mind. One second's thought would come up with plenty other activities that impinge on the health of others either directly or indirectly. Perhaps you'd also ban people mixing with others if they have a cold?
I shall only in future visit pubs and restaurants where smoking is allowed, whether I choose to smoke or not. A way of avoiding bigots like you.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Hear hear!

IMM wrote:
blahblahblahblah.
Q E D
......our resident clown says.....

Well you all read it.

I didn't.

Nicotine makes you blind as well? Are you reading this via brail?

What just about every minority does "impairs the health of others" to some extent (motorcyclists, horse riders, model aircraft enthusiasts, whatever), should they all be put in separate enclosures?
I'm still not taking part in the smoking debate! :-)

You have some mighty strange mental associations with the word "freedom". What you describe above has nothing to do with freedom. Look it up in a dictionary.

of
parts,
You truely are an uneducated moron. Anyone with a basic inkling of world politics knows what "freedom" means to Americans. It means what ever the leadership wants them to believe, to start whatever conflict they feel is neccessary at that time. It means nothing to do with personal freedom, of which the Americans have relatively little (compared to the rest of the free world). You can't even critise the government publicly without a note going down on the Total Information Awareness databases. That's hardly free. E-mails and phone calls are routinely monitored by real systems like Echelon. Protests, like the one in London last week, aren't allowed. They set up special "free-speach zones", away from whatever they are protesting. Don't agree, they'll get the tear gas out.
And don't get me started on what "democracy" means the west. A choice every five years between two viable choices isn't democracy.
Anyone who looks to America for the definitions of Freedom and Democracy is deluding themselves.
F.
Fraser wrote:

Correction: Between NO viable choices.

Something anyone who calls themselves International Man of Mys(t)ery will have no problem doing..

every
Of course, by viable I mean "actually has a chance of winning".
It could be worse. We could be America. ;-)
If Bush wins next year, I'm packing a panic bag & tent and keeping spare fuel in the car. And a compass to drive north. Maybe a map of known millitary bases to stay the hell away from. Just in case the shit hits the fan.
F.