Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Oh, yes it should. Especially if the Daily Mail decides that it's membership are baby killers. I refer you to the Dunblane gun grab, the ban on hunting with dogs, etc., etc., etc.

Neither am I. I couldn't care less, so long as I don't have to breath the results in public places.

Reply to
Huge

It's certainly simple to a simple mind. One second's thought would come up with plenty other activities that impinge on the health of others either directly or indirectly. Perhaps you'd also ban people mixing with others if they have a cold?

I shall only in future visit pubs and restaurants where smoking is allowed, whether I choose to smoke or not. A way of avoiding bigots like you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What just about every minority does "impairs the health of others" to some extent (motorcyclists, horse riders, model aircraft enthusiasts, whatever), should they all be put in separate enclosures?

I'm still not taking part in the smoking debate! :-)

Reply to
usenet

We don't need logic to see the moral case for that statement in *your* case.

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most of teh pubklic don't use wheelchairs either, or have babiues, yet there are places reserved for them and building altered.

Lets save shitloads of money by naffing the kids and shooting people in wheelchairs. They cost FAR more to the NHS than smokers!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Definitely not in Cromwells time. IMM is a direct descendant probably. No gaiety, somber clothes, no drinking dancing or playing of music. And utter hatred of anything smacking of privilege.

Cromwell - ofetn hailed as the father of parliamentary democracy, made the Taliban look like S club 7..

The country was overjoyed when he died, and welcomed charles II with open arms....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah. You mean fat middle aged mothers with pushchairs? The ones that push you into the path of oncoming traffic?

No, you must mean those lovely lager lads who smash into your car on a Friday night?

What about those fast food places that sell you food that renders you terminally obses?

Or those buses that poison the air you breathe?

Or those lads on motor bikes who rip up the countryside?

Or those fishermen polluting the world with lead weights?

Or thos elabeout politicaons poisoning monds with their classist twaddle?

Yeah. let's ban the lot of them. Danger to life and limb the lot of them are!

It is

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hear hear!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..he attempts some reasoning here...have a look...

Well smoking is a massive killer that is for sure.

Reply to
IMM

.....our resident brain of Britain continues...

..of course he thing babies and wheelchairs kill people to... This is good reading. ...he rambles on.....

....he is now putting financial consideration over babies and the disabled. I know what you are all thinking here. To be objective...he is fascinating. A good case.

Reply to
IMM

...now what does Coco the clown say...wait foir it.....

..he must have looked up my accessory..good isn't it?

He does have a point there. Aazing isn't it! I do not like privilege, only meritocracy, which would mean he would be working for MacDonald's cleaning up.

..he rambles on....

...which is total garbage of course!

Reply to
IMM

...Coco the clown gives us some of his wisdom....

I wonder why these mothers push him into the road? None have ever done that to me. What has he done to mother and child?

...he incoherently rambles on

So we need smoking because of vandals? fascinating, literally fascinating!

...on he goes....

So we need smoking because of greedy bastards? Fascinating, literally fascinating!

These are a bad thing, but filters are being fitted to them. Ongoing to remedy the problem.

So we need smoking because of speeding bikers? Fascinating, literally fascinating!

So we need smoking because of fishermen? Fascinating, literally fascinating!

......he babbles away.....

So we need smoking because of people talking? Fascinating, literally fascinating!

....he goes on.....

well did you read what I read to? Good wasn't it? Ah, bless him.

Reply to
IMM

So, if you don't smoke, you live ten years longer and drain the social security system even more.

Idiot. Smokers not only contribute HUGE amounts of taxes, they also have the decency to die earlier and save the pension schemes for others.

We should be encouraged as setting the best of examples.

Wheraras you will be whingeing well into your 90''s still with some stupid chip on your shoulder, burdening all who come into contact with you with the depressing content of your spleen, and wasting taxpayers money supporting a miserable invdividual whose sole pleasure is making others as miserable as himself, and downing the odd pint of disgusting beverage alone in a corner of some drab (*but smokeless) bar.

I think you should be banned, or hunted down with hounds. Your miserable life might just provaide a halfway decent meal for 2.2 beagles provided they are really hungry and have lost their sense of smell :-)

Never mind. With luck AIDS will get you first. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But a bar isn't a public place. It's owned by the landlord or the brewery. How they do things within their doors is their choice. Don't like it, don't go there.

Smoking in genuine public places, such as council buildings is already banned (in fact most commercial buildings are the same).

F.

Reply to
Fraser

Cognitive disssonance. Look it up.

The Natural Philosopher

blahblahblahblah.

Q E D

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So far, all of your responses to this person have been personal attacks. Not once in any post can I see you counter any of his points in an adult and inteligent manner.

To someone who is not a regular to the group (like myself), it is you who appears to be the resident ng fool.

Oh god. I bet you believe that pot enourages white women to seek relationships with black men, and causes males to go on murderous rampages! You really are soaking up the propaganda fed to you by anyone. Think for yourself for once!

F.

Reply to
Fraser

I wouldn't have thought spending time with friends was some new thing. Most folk do it several times a week. I generally go to a gathering/party with at least 8-10 folk at least once a week. It's called "having a life", and it's not a new thing. I can't remember any of my friends (mostly non-smokers by the way) ever saying that smoking stops them going out, half the time we meet up in the pub instead anyway.

Besides, there are many other reasons far more relevant in why more folk might stay home instead of drinking. The rise of suburban living, where the car is king. Kinda hard to go for a drink when you can't get home.

Also, something you have overlooked. Getting drunk on alcohol is very bad for you. Most folk live under the illusion that their drinking is moderate and not harmful. The act of getting drunk is like a sledgehammer to the brain. Less than two drinks in one day is probably OK, any more than that, and you are doing yourself genuine harm.

F.

Reply to
Fraser

But a pub isn't a public place. You have no right to dictate to me whether I allow smoking in my home, and I have no right to force it upon your non-smoking household. Neither of us have the right to dictate to a landlord.

You said you've never smoked. How can you feel up to the task of commenting on this? You aren't.

Tobacco is a drug. Drugs bring pleasure. Most of the anti-drug campaigns try to move focus away from the fact that altered perceptions of reality appeal to many people, as do the effects of whatever substance they are into. Didn't you ever make yourself dizzy as a child?

If people didn't enjoy their first smokes, then they won't start. Unless they are spineless and go on peer pressure. I didn't, I only had my first smoke at 19 years old, after asking for one. I enjoyed it. I still do. Get over it.

Can you debate something without resorting to insults? Besides, there are never "rights and wrongs" to most issues, only opinions.

They glamour has already been taken out. Popping out into the rain for a smoke at work ain't glamorous!

And making the warnings bigger won't make any difference. Do you think there are any smokers that aren't aware of how bad it can be for you? I'm all for more age-verification, but the fact is that some retailers don't care.

F.

Reply to
Fraser

..our resdient know_all _the _answers says....

.....amusing I know. he sails to see that smokers needlessly clutter the NHS, depriving proper people of service.

....he goes on...

< snip babble >

I spared you the torture.

Reply to