Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 13 of 13

The trouble is that passive smoking does have a significant impact to health.
Here are two examples of papers on the subject.....
Law MR et al. Environmental tobacco smoke exposure and ischaemic heart disease: an evaluation of the evidence. BMJ 1997; 315: 973-80.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/315/7114/973
Hackshaw AK et al. The accumulated evidence on lung cancer and environmental tobacco smoke. BMJ 1997; 315: 980-88.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/315/7114/980
Both studies indicate causal links between environmental tobacco smoke and IHD or lung cancer.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thank God for that!

You haven't here, so never will.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Ah well!! I knew it was too good to be true.

So, you don't like people who don't share your view? Are you a facist?
Personally, I disagree with friends on key issues a lot. An important part of getting along with people is understanding that everyone is different.

Doesn't look that way to me. Every time I post a comment that you can't find a "witty" answer for, it gets ignored or not included in the next message from you. Had the roles been reversed, you'd probably be cutting and pasting them in shouting "see!! you don't have an answer".
In terms of actual content from you, I've yet to see anything that might convince anyone round to your point of view. You seen to have the debating skills of a teenager, if things don't go your way, logic is thrown out of the window and you stamp your feet saying "no no no no no"...

So, with proof or figures, explain what you find at fault with my statement above, which is entirely factually accurate.
F./

right
forbid
Oh gawd, the "shouting fire in a movie theater" argument, I can't believe you brought that one up. Completely irrelevant.
F.

What are you on about?

believe
Hmm, I thought you viewed yourself as "brighter than me". OK, I'll explain:
The "shouting fire in a theatre" is one of the oldest conflicts in "freedom" legislation, and has been debated over a gazillion times in many countries. It actually forms part of the US constitution/amendments, IIRC. Now, free speech says you can say what you want, when you want. Now, if you went into a movie theatre and shouted "fire!!" at the top of your voice, you'd create a panic.
So, the point is that, yes, freedom is a good thing, but everything has limits.
In some ways, this furthers your argument, I'll concede that. My smoking could be conceived as the "fire!!", trying to cause you harm. But there are two differences:
a) In a theatre, you don't expect to be running out for false alarms b) In a bar, you expect to see people smoking
Knowing this, it is your choice to go there or not.
F.
I'd use a solvent based undercoat on the wall. It's the only thing that covers nicotine stains so I guess it would be a better seal than PVA.
Arg wrote:

Expanding foam may be youir friend here.
If you can identify where the air is getting through.
It almost certainly is NOT diffusion through plasterboard etc. That makes a good partuculate filter.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I aggree with the foam solution. One thing that occurs to me is if smoke can get through one household to another it must be a risk in case of fire in one property and therefore probably doesn't meet fire regulations. What can you expect from Wimpy though. I bought my first house around that time and they were well known to be the one developer to avoid if at all possible.
Mike P. wrote:

Right. I smoke, and am totally ambivalent about it. On balance I wish I didn't, but I actually like it. I certainly don't believe in thrusting it down other peoples noses tho.
OTOH, there are many things that other people do that offends even my desensitized nostrils - many perfumes over applied leave me sneezing wheezing and gasping - and frankly, I would far raher see diesels fitted with particulate filters than smoking banned. FAR more dangerous to the general public IMHO.
Alcohol is definitely THE most antisocial drug around tho, if statistics are analysed. Smokers kill themselves and irritate others. Heavy drinkers mostly kill other people at rather young ages often. Alcohol is more damaging to the body than heroin.
I have no doubt that smoking will, in time, pass out of common use, as snuff already has, but lets rather concentrate on more serious issues: Diesels in particular generate FAR more nasty carcinogenic compounds of very similar composition than cigarette smoke at a distance does.

smoking!.
If your going to come out with reasonable, well thought out arguments then kindly keep your opinions to yourself. Next you'll be suggesting that smokers pay more into the coffers (pun not intended) than they take out! Richard.

Uh huh, tanks defend themselves from the nuclear, biological and chemical agents outside the tank by pumping in air from outside the tank eh? I can spot a slight flaw in this scheme.
Steve Firth wrote:

They filter it you know.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:20:34 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/museum/aldershot/collections/chieftain.html
http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/chief/chief1.html
Ahh those were the days. I was in the 2nd Royal tank regiment from '74 to '78. Qualified crewman (driver, gunner and operator) on Chieftain and Fox. Sigh...
You could try letting off a flare in his house and see where the coloured smoke appears on your side :-) Best wait for him to go on holiday for that and tell him you'll watch his house for him.
Ant.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:34:18 +0000, Mike Barnard

Wow, what a thread! :) Sorry in delaying replying but I've been working nights.
Too many posts to reply to individually but the gist of the thread is obviously LIFT THOSE BOARDS! Well, I can't for a while as I have a big desk to dismantle etc and I'm busy doing out another room. But I now fully expect to find some sort of gaps.
From putting in a power socket in the back room I discovered that they have built the interior walls over the continous floorboarding, but I shouldn't think they could do this across individual houses...can they? This MUST breach any fire regs regarding dividing walls, even from the '60's!?!
OH well, thanks to you all for the pointers and I'll let you know the outcome in the future.