Alternative to Torx drivers

That was sort of my guess. No conspiracy theory here. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Andy Dingley scribeth thus

I reckon there a lot better than Pozidrive, dunno why their not that more used?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Worldwide, Torx are more common than Pozidrive and have been since some time in the '90s. Most "Pozi" screws (outside Europe) are actually Phillips, which combine the worst of Pozi features with some of those of the cross slot, particularly their weakness when formed in a cheesemetal screwhead.

The great advantage of Torx is their good performance when the driver is square-on, as for automated assembly. Their weakness is their dependency on having the driver square-on, which makes them awkward for maintenance later. This is something that Pozi and especially the later improved Pozi, Superdrive?, are particularly good at.

Of course either are far better than something like a Bristol spline, which only works when screw and driver are made from the best of materials, in perfect condition. Some far-Eastern screws (Playstation case?) are now using "Wankel" screws with a rounded triangular socket in their head. It's a poor design, except for its compatibility with weak cheesemetal screwheads, as it doesn't load the corners of the socket..

Wikipedia has had a good article recently, "List of screw drives" or somesuch. Best read it before some wikifuckwit deletes it as "not notable" or "original research".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's the one, damn you auto spell check! I was definitely not defiant in using it, as others have mentioned it has to be square on or it strips the head then the only option is a flat head and hammer. Tom

Reply to
Tom