How to I replace garage window?

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door (Overhead Door Comapny). The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Reply to
doug

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and they will cut you a piece from new material.

Reply to
Lawrence

Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store. How do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary"? How to remove the strips was my question.

Reply to
doug

Is it a plastic or glass window?

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
doug

Don't know for sure withou either seeing it or a better description. My only idea: If it is not obvious how to remove these "strips" then try a prybar. If you can post a pic many people will be willing to help you. You description is so poor that apparently only I am bored enough to even answer.

Reply to
Lawrence

If these window stops (strips) are they same for some vinyl windows. Just use a 5 N 1 tool or putty knife to get an end of the strip pulled up. They pull off by hand. Look at the stops and see how they are installed. I've seen windows where you had to pull the top and bottom stops off first and then the side ones.

They snap in and out...in my experience.

-- Oren

Oren

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside the door?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

-- Oren

Oren

They are on the inside of the door. If I try to pry them off with a putty knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find any plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

Reply to
doug

You might be too concerned. They need to come off in order to set the new glass. Take a piece to a local glass (real) shop if you break one piece..

Your call...

-- Oren

Oren

Yes they are almost impossible to get off without deforming (ruining) them & we gave up trying to save them & replace the inside pieces whenever we change the glass.

You can try prying them on one end w/ small screwdriver and work down the strip spreading them apart, but the plastic is so stiff it is not easy & very time consuming to do.

F.Y.I. You will never get the pieces (new or old) to go back on without taking the top section out & laying the section down on the floor & tapping the pieces back on w/ a rubber mallet or a hammer & a block of wood. This means it's very easy to break the new piece of glass when you are putting the pieces back on. So save yourself a trip & buy more then one piece of glass.

All of this may sound ridiculous but they are a very in-expensive window frame that alot of mfgs used. We don't use them & all of ours screw together from the inside.

DoorDoc

doordoc

Not impossible.

A screw driver will cause more damage. Like I mentioned before a 5N1 tool or putty knife. Get one end up and pull the strip away.

Distribute the prying pressure using a wider blade. It will lesson damage to the vinyl strip.

A house window is more complicated than a garage door window, I suppose!

The OP can stand there or do something.

Cheaper to replace the strip than needing more glass than necessary, but I've never had a garage door window. I have pulled vinyl stop strips and re sued them.

-- Oren

Oren

I have the same issue and the strips are one time use. You will tear them up removing them. I called the overhead door dealer and got six new strips already cut and glass already cut for $14. Didn't get extra glass but got extra strips. The kicker is how to get them reinstalled. I have been able to install the short on one side and get it lipped over the metal of the garage door, but still have 3 to go. That is why I came online to review and see how to do this easier?? I was at the first part 30 minutes with the wife pushing from the outside. It is a two person job to reinstall. Wish my builder had used a better door.

Good luck!

Reply to
numedpick

Two people to replace a garage door window? I'm due for a break, give me one!

-- Oren

Oren

Removing the window frame retainer can be done using a wide, prying tool, such as

and gently "working" it free. Reinstalling is easy if you first remove the glazed section and place it on a sturdy table. The window frame MUST sit securely on the table, if not you will need to shim the frame so there is no gap between the table and frame. You don't want any "give" when you tap the retainer onto the frame.

Rich

Rich

I must be dumb here. How do you get it back into the door with the back side retainers already on?

Since Oren needs a break, I will be happy for him to describe that?

I must be doing it wrong, since I am trying to hold the glass in the frame and attach the sticks fropm the back side. If someone is not on the front side pushing, I will never get the sticks on it??

John

as

and gently "working" it free. Reinstalling is easy if you first remove the

Reply to
numedpick

OK I got it in. Using a board over the sticks on the inside and my son- in-law holding a board on the outside we did the sticks on all 4 sides in 35 mins. It is amzing how tight those things are. I didn't use a mallet, but instead a hammer and beat that 1/2 cedar board I was using to death.

I still don't see how this type of window is a one man job to install. House was built in 1994 and that is the first, and I hope the last one that gets broken!