Air conditioning in April - good grief

Such laughter.

Reply to
IMM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:08:20 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM" strung together this:

Yep.

Reply to
Lurch

At home? Remote servers can provide such services for you.

Reply to
IMM

Do kids throw stones at you in the street?

Reply to
IMM

Yes they can. Your point? I have reasons for running my own mailserver at home, both for receiving and sending. I assume the previous poster does as well. I got annoyed by occasional high transit times causing delivery deadlines to be missed- now if there's a problem I can check the local server logs and confirm that the mail has left and has either been received at the destination or is on the mailserver for the destination. Either way it confirms the problem is at the client's end and not mine.

Before any smartarse says we should plan better on timing, some jobs my wife does only take a day to do and are delivered in the middle of one day for return by midday the next. This leaves little slack.

Reply to
Craig Graham

Absolutely if you are working with networking.

It is true that you can have DNS hosted remotely on your behalf, but good quality services have to be paid for, and the free ones are not flexible enough. One may also need to run split horizon DNS whereby internal host details are not shown externally. Read the information about BIND if you would like to educate yourself about that.

I would not even entertain the idea of having mail hosted anywhere outside my direct control for both security and reliability reasons. Given that situation, it is necessary to have a host with SMTP server accessible to the Internet at all times so that sending mail servers don't time out and start sending non-delivery or delayed delivery messages to the sender.

This may be adequate for some people, but does not meet my requirements which is 24x7 service availability.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or mail servers.

Reply to
IMM

You may not. Do not presume to speak for others.

My network has a lot of machines on it (sometimes as many as 15). It needs DNS to work. If my DSL goes down, I lose DNS. So I run it locally. I run DNS for other domains for other reasons. You have already been given valid reasons for mail.

Reply to
Bob Eager

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you should have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one for the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.
Reply to
IMM

What you really need is a heat pump that extracts the heat from the air to heat your h.w. cylinder.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Any recommendations for suppliers of portable A/C units? Good value/service, online or otherwise.

Ideally I would like to have an internal unit with the hoses going out to my balcony to an external unit (don't know the exact terms for these, but the hoses carry the heat exchanging fluid). I live in a flat. Problem is routing the hoses - we have large windows/patio doors covering all of one wall. Above the windows is a pretty substantial concrete beam. Below there is a step, with extenal brickwork. I'm not sure about the construction. As the windows are large sealed double glazing units I couldn't cut holes there.

Guess the best option is to have a portable unit, and lead the flexible air exhaust hose out of the doors left ajar. Any ideas?

Reply to
John Hearns

It isn't nonsense. I work at home and certainly need them for the work that I do.

This involves quite a bit of DNS work and constant mail deliverability in known timescales. By hosting my own, I can change them as required and can also confirm delivery of important emails to business contact's servers. That can't be done through a 3rd party service.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have a similar number of machines, plus routers, switches and various forms of firewalling installed at home.

I don't need commercial units, nor would I want to work in one.

This uses far less energy than if I have to get into the car and drive somewhere, never mind the time and security risk.

Sorry, but your usual "one size fits all" mentality doesn't work.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.
Reply to
IMM

Good approach. Then these fatties save a little energy.

Reply to
IMM

You can certainly get "window rattlers" as they are called im the UK. But they don't generally find favour in the UK market. OTOH some are indeed sold because of very easy installation and no expertise needed and little structural alteration. But they aren't common.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

"Grunff" wrote | But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air. | Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

I noticed the Evaporative Coolers in B&Q yesterday. "Does not dry the air" was plastered on the package as a Feature Selling Point.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or whatever they are called..... That must be commercial, or perhaps just foolhardy....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's your opinion. And yours only.

Anyway, they'd hardly use less electricity if in a different place.

Reply to
Bob Eager