Air conditioning in April - good grief

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave, but averaged over a longer period to the end of the year, there were no more deaths than normal. So whilst you might claim the heatwave killed thousands, they were going to die anyway over the next few months. The heatwave merely knocked up to a few months off their lives. The imaginary images of thousands of healthy people dying across Europe which the press generated (particularly in the US) was highly misleading.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A Heat Pump is not 400% efficient. A heat pump moves heat. Not quite the same thing.

Reply to
IMM

Ta.

I hope I never again need to know that.

I complained last year to Trading Standards about B&Q's deviousness over this. I got back the answer (after some considerable research on TS's part) that though it's illegal, nobody is charged with enforcing it!

Reply to
Simon Gardner

The reason for that (according to French media reports) is the habit of the whole of French officialdom and most of the public service (ie many health workers) of going on vacances at the same time in August - resulting in severe staff shortages when last year's killing heat hit. So the Health Service was unable to cope.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

This was also printed in the Guardian, which immediately calls into question the factual content.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As are most of the press stories related to global warmimg. The Times has been caught out at least once fiddling the data to match the headline. Hence my stance as a global warming sceptic.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

You see! When you dig a little deeper most of the media reports of the dire consequences of global warming are just so much hot air. There's usually a perfectly rational explanation.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Well yes - except the staff didn't cause the killer heat. That was real enough. I had my aircon on full blast and only ventured out into my similarly air conditioned car - for about a week last summer. And it was pretty bad on and off for about four months.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

I thought it was pretty good for the same period!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Isn't this the norm for a broadsheet newspaper aimed at the readers who are ambitious to become civil servants and incapable of making up their own minds?

Reply to
Capitol

I know. For you, 400% efficient means a COP of 4, 1kW in = 4kW out.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet writes

Wimp ...

Reply to
geoff

"Capitol" wrote | Isn't this the norm for a broadsheet newspaper aimed at the readers | who are ambitious to become civil servants and incapable of making | up their own minds?

Civil servants making up their own minds? What a novel suggestion. In fact, one might say it was both novel and courageous. If they came to a decision they might be held responsible for it, which isn't at all how government is supposed to work. Far better to leave the decision-making to the politicians - after all, they're expendable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

whatever

I know exactly what COP is.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie, I have to agree with you.

Reply to
IMM

You poor people are welcome to grovel in your filth. Myself, I'll use the money for what it's for; to be comfortable.

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.

Reply to
Huge