Running lighting cable over/through joists in loft.

The joists in my loft are less than 100mm in height, meaning that it is impossible to drill a hole that is 50mm from both the top /and/ bottom of the joist. I've found other posts that say to run the cable over the top of the joist and have a baton either side and place steel strips over the top, e.g.

parts the cable/joists will have boards over the top. Can the cable be run without earthed trunking/conduit? and does this comply with the building regs? I can't find anything which explicity covers this in the On Site Guide or the BS7671 Blue Book.

Reply to
thankyousam

Why not drill through the joists 50mm from the bottom and put 3mm steel plates over the top to protect from screws.

I beleive this is allowed in the on site guide

Regards - Lightingman

Reply to
Lightman

As a slight aside, given the height of the joists will I be able to run the cables along the length/side of the joists, holding them in place with cable clips?

Reply to
thankyousam

This is acceptable, and is the standard way of installing Twin & Earth, PVCI cables running the length of the joists. If there is thermal insulation laid "between the joists", the cable should be run preferably, at a height corresponding to the upper surface of the insulation layer, to avoid unnecessary cable derating; but in any case, at a height of at least 50mm to the underside of the cable, measured from the bottom of the joist. (This is to avoid possible nail damage from below the ceiling).

Reply to
John McLean