Why are condo prices so inexpensive in the best areas of the city of Chicago?

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad? If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some outskirt.

Chris Tsao

"Chris Tsao" wrote in news:1160708662.628854.320370 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

What is your home repair question or contribution posting?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I have a wall unit that I stained the side of with fishtank water, so I am thinking of hiering (sp.) a cabinetmaker to take the side of it off and put a new one on, so can you please tell me if he'd be able to do this without denting or scratching it and if he and the front part is rounded, so would he be able to make it round to match the other ones. He'd have to come to my house to look at at, but if I stare (sp.?) at it hard, would I be able to tell that it's not the original. To get the side off, I figure he'd have to bang it with a rubber hammer because they must be stuck on with mollies.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I'll simply write "sp." on the return address side of envelopes.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Sorry, I was too lazy to exert the mental concentration to finish this sentence, so I deluded myself that I did. I meant to axe if he'd be able to match the varnish perfectly.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

What is also distressing is that in Cancun Mexico and other parts of Mexico, the condos seem to be about a $190 to $500-somthing grand for one-bedrooms. I can afford up to $200ish grand now, but I don't want to move there now. I figure that if they cost so much to buy that the maintenaince or taxes would ALSO be more than I am counting on. WHen my aunt dies and therefore cannot continue to finance my retirement, I figured that I could move to Mexico with the money I inherit from her, but the condos seem to be about as costly as the condos in Florida. How much would the maintainance (sp.?) or yearly taxes cost on a nice one- or tw0-bedroom condo in a nice area in Mexico. My idea is to move to Mexico so I don't have to work. This is my only out for the workforce. I hate Mexico, but not nearly as bad as I hate jobs and commuting and going to sleep early and waking up early. My aunt just turned 77, so I talkiing somewhere down the road.

Is it possible to retire in Mexico if your networth is about $700 grand. If the terror attacks never happened and thus the stockmarket didn't crash, I'd inherit enough to retire in Mexico.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

And your question regarding home repair is ........ ?????????

Reply to
Steve B

TAKE YER MEDS!

Reply to
Steve B

I'll post it tomorrow. I can get the super of the building I live in fix my ceiling fan, but if it makes you happy, I'll try to fix it with help from alt.home.repair. I have been coming in alt.home.repair for help with real estate since April 28, 2003. I get answers to all my questions. I asked a question about the above0mentioned wall unit's water damage in here back in 1999 and was told the stains are permanent, so about two hours ago, I posted a new question about it in this thread, so now I should not be accused of posting off-toppic anymore!!!

I think I shall keep on asking my question about Chicago's real estate prices? I asked about real estate prices on multi-family houses on Aprill 11, 20004, got no answer, so I tried again on Sept. 5 of this year and found out what I need to know (proof below), and it's always been my experience that persistence pays off.

Sept 5, 2006

April 11, 2004

Chris Tsao

I took one pill about an hour ago. I'm supposed to take two, but I forgot yesterday and I don't want to detox. I was prescribed zoloft for O.C.D., but it doesn't work for that, but it melows me out, so I never stopped taking it. I have been diagnosed for O/C.D. by three pyschopharmacologists, but none have been able to find the right meds because I have to strong a case.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Correction!!!!!!!! I've checked more real estate agents' site and are seeing your average price for a condo at $300-something thousand to the millions!!!! One knows life sucks bowling balls through a bendy straw when a person cannot live well in some fourthworld country for people of color!!!!

I found one condo which is not a highrise like I covet, but I cannot make heads or tales of this sentence below:

Monthly condo maintenance fees are about $7000. Pesos.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Actually it is a highrise. I am in a few sites at the same time because I have discovered that I can sign online a bunch of times with DSL.

Check this out the apartment is 300something thousand dollars. How in the world can Mexico be as expensive as the United States??????? This is very perplexing.

Chris Tsao

Okay okay I know, it's four bedrooms. I just came accross it again. This therefore is a bad example. This is increadibly cheap even for Mexico. This is a price that will get you ONLY one or two bedrooms for a comparable building. What I want to know is WHY THE F*CK are Freaking Mexico real estate prices on par with Florida and practically every other area in America???? Mexico is supposed to be a poor country. I thought that's why they're all sneaking into America.

I am in Panama now and check this s**te out!!!! I want to know why these two-bit countries cost so much to live in.

My apartment is worth $200something grand and yet I cannot get something better for this money in some picolo (sp.?) country. This pisses me off.

Maybe I'll post back after investing a ... say .... Guatimalla (sp.) realator's web site in a few minutes. If so, I will be raging (I'm guessing).

Reply to
Chris Tsao

So now you'll never possess the knowledge that you can retire if you move to the Phillipines (sp.). This is the cheapest country one can live in that will suffice. We can get a super luxury high rise for the price of a car or two.

For some strange reason, Venezuala (sp.??) apartments cost and an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

From a Realtor's exam:

  1. Which does not belong on the following list: A. Herpes B. AIDS C. Syphilis D. A condominium

Correct answer is "C."

You can get rid of Syphilis.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's not cheap, that's a lot of money IMO. Seven years ago, for not quite

50% more, I bough a decent house on 1/4 acre in a very hoity-toity Chicago suburb.

Plus I know that area, its not the heart of Chicago. The "heart" of town starts about 5 miles south of there. That area is still "Grandmasville", those buildings are loaded with retirees.

mrsgator88

Thank you. I will find out where the heart of Chicago is and make that the number one candidate. Retirees don't sound like something I'd like to be around all the time. For some strange reason, Chicago seems to be the cheapest of all major cities to buy apartments in. Yet IMO, it's one of the most desirable.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Since you're not tied into any city and are looking to save $$$, look at Milwaukee.

mrsgator88