Home Inspection

Hello to everyone,

I'm interested ( extremely ), in learning home inspection. I checked some web info ( carson) , I also looked into community college courses and on-line courses.

The question is, What would be the most accepted form of training to get started in this new career?

I'm going a little nuts with all the difference of opinions , would like to hear from someone who's been there.

Thanks

Gino

Reply to
GINO

"GINO" wrote in news:FKCXg.8114$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net:

Haven't been there but when I need one, the ONLY acceptable one must be a member of ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors. Just having a state licence is not good enough to me.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It helps a lot to own a home and have lots of experience fixing the endless pain in the ass problems that appear just when you thought you could stretch out in the yard with a bunch of magazines & a beer and maybe everyone would leave you alone. "Honey....the toilet's doing something weird...."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Many home inspectors are from the trades. Frequently it's a tradesman who has been injured, or can no longer physically do the job they had for one reason or another.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Why do you say that? What's wrong with NACHI? Or NAHI, or whatever other ones are out there?

Reply to
jeffc

Check the requirements to become a member of some of these groups. In some cases, no licensure or proof of ability to perform home inspections is even required. In at least one case, the "alternative" group was formed primarily as a moneymaker for the founder.

Jo Ann

jeffc wrote:

Reply to
jah213

PS --- also make sure your physically agile to be able to "get on a two story roof to make the roofing inspection. I had one inspector who said "I think the upper story roof is ok." I told him that IF he wanted to be paid he was going to have to go up and INSPECT IT (and write that on the inspection.) He had to send for another "inspector" because of the height. SIGH!

G> Hello to everyone,

Reply to
mcfriendly

My inspector had height issues, too, but he told me up front. I called a roofer I'd used in the past and offered to pay him. He agreed, checked it out, pointed out a couple of concerns, and then refused to charge me. Sometimes offering money shows people that you appreciate the value of their time, and you get a surprise in return.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In some states all you need to be a home inspector is an occupational license.

Reply to
gfretwell

It was my understanding that they could use binoculars to check out roofs if they needed to....

Reply to
jeffc

"jeffc" wrote in news:KrMXg.28452$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

Maybe nothing. Some people swear by Fords and others Chevys. Just passing along info from a consumer standpoint.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Doesn't seem like nothing is wrong in my state, Pa. Infact I think the NACHI is the only one that has a local branch here.

As long as they meet state laws, I love em. ;)

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Funny how options can be confused with fact, and start flame wars. ;)

Understood,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

I think many inspector organizations see such a practice of climbing on every roof as unsafe, so it's against their SOP's.

My understanding, you only need to go to the roof, if you can't visually inspect it from the ground.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Only about half of the states (USA) license or certify home inspectors. The requirements in the other states vary quite a bit. In some cases all a "home inspector" has to do to practice is have a phone number and a business card.

Reply to
lwasserm