Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Tour de Yorkshire 2018
Could in not be run somewhere more appropriate - like say in France.
9
9

1 cement 4 sharp sand to reinforce support for RSJ?
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick. Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement. I want to reinforce it, is 1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix? With a...
9
9

Traditional Materials?
Where I live I have seen a cycle that goes like this: Extension built - using timber for things like facias. A few years later the house owner has them replaced with uPVC, why don't builders use uPVC...
20
20

OT AMWaters

Bubbled up worktop
I plan to fit a new stainless steel kitchen sink in the new year. The current sink is an Astracast-type sink (composite) which is 90cm long. The new ss sink will probably be a Franke Ascona ASX 651...
17
17

Mice and cables
from my research at it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through and seal around the cable hole? I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,...
11
11

Remove mono lever cartridge from vertically mounted tap
I've got a mono-lever tap on a bathroom basin which is mounted vertically o nto the porcelain (the basin is one piece with a "shelf" integrated into it ). I'm presuming the tap fitting came with the...
2
2

expanding foam incident
It turns out the non-empty can doesn't *always* self-seal when you take it off to clean the gun. Fortunately I was doing this in the basement & had already put a piece of scrap plastic down on the...
19
19

Bakelite smell from washing machine?
There was a smell of Bakelite from our washing machine this morning. At least, I think that's what it is. It reminds me of Veroboard, and old light-brown PCBs. Can I assume that one of the components...
10
10

use temperature for caberfix D4 polyurethane glue
Heading back into Winter, I am starting to worry about the glue supplied to bond the flooring chipboard joints. Half done , lots to do! D4 comes with a storage limitation of +5 to +25 deg. C but I...
8
8

Junk story
Yesterday, my manager decided she would help by replacing a kitchen light bulb over the kitchen work surface. The lampshade is held on by 3 stupid screws. She detached the glass shade without breaking...
7
7

Badly fitted door?
Hi. I had a Rockdoor fitted recently. I have a small problem. The key can't be turned unless I pull on the door at the same time. Leaving, I have to p ush. I can see that the seal is not evenly...
22
22

Stannah stair lift rails
I have a two rail stair lift please could anyone tell me how the rails are held together it looks like a locating pin. We have tried allen keys with no luck. Do we just gently hammer the pins out or...
2
2

Artificial Xmas tree.
Seems to be a bewildering choice of artificial Xmas trees. At vastly varying prices. Best buy for a 7ft one that looks good and will last long enough to pay for the extra cost over real?
17
17

Freezing plastic pipe?
I'll search again for the stopcock, but it looks as though it may be simpler just to freeze the pipe for the short time it takes to add an inline valve to the end. The trouble is that I have only ever...
15
15