Artificial Xmas tree.

Seems to be a bewildering choice of artificial Xmas trees. At vastly varying prices. Best buy for a 7ft one that looks good and will last long enough to pay for the extra cost over real?
--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:08 +0000 (GMT)

I bought ours in Woolworths, and I would recommend it but for one little snag ...
On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:08 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Our Big Tree (6') came from B&Q the best part of twenty years ago. Still in good working order, what they are like now is another matter. I think you'll have to tour the sheds to see what is available and fits your definition of "looks good". Some trees are rather narrow at the bottom, others don't have enough branches or brancches to the branches. IIRC the lower branches of the Big Tree split to 3 then each of those split to 2 giving 6 ends per branch leaving the "trunk".
And have you seen the price of a real 6' tree...
--
Cheers
Dave.

The main supermarkets sell multi-packs quite cheaply at this end of the year.
http://i.imgur.com/WFaPp.jpg
--
Adrian C

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:58:45 +0000, Adrian Caspersz

Now that's my idea of a Xmyth tree. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, 4 December 2017 15:58:48 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Very 70s. One day such decor schemes will become desirable again, to someone somewhere. Why I don't know.
NT
On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Just ooi, are you religious, do you have kids coming to visit or who is this tree actually for?
We don't really do Xmyth (aren't religious, don't have kids coming round etc) so don't have all the Xmyth trappings to bother with (which is good).
No tree, cards, decorations or special food to worry about. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 16:45:55 +0000

I used to fetch my little tree from the cupboard, and have some nice cheese and crackers, ginger wine and Christmas pudding. SO likes to do gifts, decorations and a proper roast dinner with all the trimmings. I don't mind, but it does seem a load of fuss for nothing much (apart from supporting retailers) particularly considering the financial and family/emotional difficulties it seems to cause for some people.

Daughter had one of those for a couple of years. Came out complete with lights and plastic baubles and was ready to go. ;-)

I don't mind any of that and you can have it any time of the year. ;-)

Again, I don't mind eating any of that and again, you can eat it any time of the year can't you?

Yup, we should all join in the 'Commercial spirit of Xmas'. ;-)

And that's the biggie for me. All the shopping panic (for others), all the 'extra' / unnecessary expense (people buying food in like there was a tsunami on the way) and stress it all seems to promote ... and for what?
I do 'get' that for those people who may only get a few days off it's a chance to see their (more extended) families but there are often arguments about all that!
The worst bit is when you have all agreed *not* to do presents then someone hands you one. ;-(
The Mrs used to go up to her sisters and whilst I was always invited, even to just have the meal and bugger off again (if I wanted), I would often enjoy the peace and quiet and beans on toast for lunch. ;-)
It's not that I have anything against any of our family, it's just that I don't like the games, rarely want to watch what they are watching on TV and would generally prefer to be doing something of my own. It feels just like a waste of time and if I'm doing nothing I'd rather be doing my own nothing. ;-)
Maybe that's why people often invite us on the grounds that they have something for me to do ... like fix their PC or build a wardrobe. ;-)
Cheers, T i m.
On 04/12/2017 16:45, T i m wrote:

Oh FFS cheer up :-)
I bought one - for the first time ever this year. Really to cheer up the generally miserable ensemble around me, and the prospect of nephews/nieces etc descending.
To the OP, a fibre optic from CPC. Not 7', more like 4'/£20, but fine to my uncritical eye and, therefore, the target audience.
The only slight thing is that the fibre's LED lamp shines through a coloured motorised disc which makes an annoying rumbling sound. In fact, the motor is fairly quiet - it's more the tree's base/motor enclosure acts as an echo chamber.
--
Cheers, Rob

What you need is a train set running round the tree, to drown out the noise of the motor :-)
TBH, I can't see the point of artificial trees. Either do a Tim and don't bother, or buy a proper tree.
--
Graeme

Depends on how good an artificial one looks. They have improved a lot recently.
It's also a bit of a faff finding a really nice real one in the larger sizes. Bitter experience says you don't just buy a ready wrapped one.
--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

;-)

I can't see the point of 'bringing a tree into your house ...'!
Yeah yeah, I know it's from some bizarre tradition that someone thought up years ago but unless there is a very good reason (today), it's no different from the Coca Cola sponsored red father Xmyth getup?
(I understand the idea of bringing a cherry or hawthorn branch in in the hope it flowers or looks pretty (without decoration) but most people will fell a conifer growing in their garden rather than look at it). ;-)
Cheers, T i m

The same reason you have pictures etc on the walls. Decoration. Which is always an individual taste.
It's also the one time of the year my place gets filled up with people. And I'd guess more prefer to see an Xmas tree than hate it - especially if it's not down to them to buy and decorate it. ;-)
--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Graeme wrote:

    I end up having to refurbish the train motor every year, it's a pain.

Would look totally lost in the room, which is 32ft long with a high ceiling. And needs to be a floor standing tree.
I've seen suitable sized articifial trees in B&Q etc which looked quite good at about £150. Looking online, you can pay even more - but get a longer warranty.
The other reason for asking is my car which can carry a large tree is in having a windscreen leak fixed. So would mean having a large tree delivered. I can store an artificial one quite easily in the cellar.
--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

The irony is that I'm actually a pretty laid back and happy chap. In fact, I am know to give things to people when they want them all year round. ;-)

Good luck doing that by bringing a tree *into the house*? ;-)

Well, I guess if they are young or still motivated / uplifted by such things then it's worth it.

Yeah, I think a 'viable token' is worth more to those who are into it than nothing at all. Even the silhouette of a tree made in lights on the wall could be enough in the right setting.

Hehe. Yes, and elderly neighbour had / has one of those and it was quite interesting to watch in the same way a lava lamp or mock real-coal-fire might be.
Back to the serious thing for a sec ... if you aren't religious ... *and* you don't have anyone coming round who might appreciate the 'stuff' that is associated with the seasons festivities, then all of it is a non starter.
We don't send or care to receive cards (and that message seems to have got across now) and we don't because:
1) We feel that if we really care for someone we should contact them directly and potentially more than once a year. In these electronic times, most people are doing that via email, social media or the phone in any case.
2) Sending cards though the post is expensive these days and whilst we can afford it, many can't (or shouldn't).
3) Cards are often covered in glitter and heavy ink / print and that makes them less easy to recycle.
4) It is better to give the cost of the cards to a charity than buy their cards.
5) It can be complicated, getting the postal address of people, knowing how to spell all their names or even knowing all their names (I was still getting a card addressed to Tim, Julie and family and I've not been with Julie for 30 years now! I believe the card is from some of our family but I don't know who).
Then there is the issue of getting the right card for each person and making sure you don't send them the same as last year or that you don't send a 'good' card to someone that might be seen by someone else you send a cheap card to! ;-(
6) Go round any office in the new year and open the draws of many 'blokes'. What I predict you will find is a quantity of unopened cards given to them by other members of staff and that they haven't bothered to open or put up. This I believe is down to the fact that men are typically left brainers and so don't have quite as much empathy as women (who are typically right brainers, with a bit more empathy) and who would go to the trouble of opening the card and displaying it, so as to not upset / offend the person who gave it to them.
That brings me onto the whole 'who typically wants all the Xmyth trappings and why' question and I think it's more often the woman in the household?
Luckily, my 'woman', given the job of dealing with a tree, decorations or cards herself ... equally 'CBA' so we don't. ;-)
Just as an observation ... I wonder what goes though the minds of young children who are still 'into' the whole Xmyth thing when they turn up at grandma and grandpas and it's the only house with a 10' inflatable Father Xmyth in the front garden or any other obvious decoration for miles around? <shrug>
Cheers, T i m
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    Buy a prelit LED one from say Amazon. Saves a lot of hassle.