Subject Author Posted Replies

Economics of replacing 5ft and 6ft fluorescent tubes with LEDs
The recent discussion about lights has pricked my conscience (again!) about the workshop lights, some of which are on several hours per day. I have 2 pairs of modern 6ft lights and one pair of elderly...
27
27

eBay auto fanatisism
I am currently finalising the sale of a piewce of equipment to a bidder woth whjom I have exchanged a few questions and answers. Yesterday, in one reply I was a bit verbose rather thamn be abrupt and...
6
6

patio cleaners
Are any of thoes proprietary patio cleaners worth a curse?
10
10

First the dishwasher, now the microwave…
After a mere 43 years of service our Toshiba ER-672ET has just stopped heating stuff. Lights on, countdown timer working, turntable rotating but instead of the normal hum when the magnetron is...
36
36

Sliding patio door, sticking, how to adjust/access?
We have a sliding patio door which has taken to sticking and also getting itself off its track. It's fairly old, wooden frame, double glazed. I can see no way to take it apart or adjust it, is this...
9
9

Lights Saga - Appendix 1
Sorry to come back on this, everything is still working but I am uncomfortable with the fitting of the chandelier in the study - which is the room that had the loose connections. It's a brass coloured...
3
3

Anti seize compound
Going to be assembling a new gravity smoker. (Think auto feed charcoal BBQ) Been suggested to use anti-seize compound on the various screws & bolts. They are typically M4 Steel black painted machine...
6
6

What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?
Just moved into new Council flat. This is a high rise estate where they have a central boiler providing gas and heating to the whole of the building (or so I was told) , then each flat has a second...
10
10

Lights Saga - FINAL
I'm pretty sure it's final anyway! Having taken on board all the advice from the group I decided that before crawling around the loft space I should just check the ceiling rose of the last light...
38
38

Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.
I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what...
25
25

ebay deductions
Can ebay make deductions from my bank account for charges ?
2
2

Odd dishwasher fault
What causes a dishwasher to stop mid cycle if it’s not a leak, not a pump failure, not a heater failure and not a power cut? Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher has twice paused after 100...
9
9

Lights Saga 3
I had another thought this morning. If I measure the voltage from the apparently live wire in the kitchen ceiling choc block to the the earth in the ceiling choc block will I trip the RCD? The CU has...
3
3

The Five Things Keeping Us From Going All-Electric
The Five Things Keeping Us From Going All-Electric By Amy Myers Jaffe, July 23, 2023, WSJ Electrification is all the buzz. As more governments, corporations, investors and consumers commit to reducing...

Fridge freezer temp alarm issue
Hi All, I have an old Zanussi fridge freezer which has worked without issue for almost 20 years now :) It has recently started triggering the temperature alarm. The fridge temperature seems fine and...
10
10