Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: crosscut paper shredders
I've just blown up my shredder (well, it's stripped a gear inside, by the sound of it). This is a good excuse to buy a cross-cut one, since the broken one only cuts into strips. Can anyone recommend a...
28
28

gravel coverage
House being rented out for a while and tenants wont want to do gardening ,s o ieant to cover the front garden with membrane and gravel. So how much of the larger gravel ( ??20mm) do i need to buy to...
13
13

Where to put booster pump?
I bought a pump to boost the pressure to our hot water, mainly because the missus wants a mixer tap on the bath, and we haven't got enough head to feed it properly. My original thought was to have it...
3
3

Dinky bookcase project
For those that like these sorts of things, I thought I would document frankenshelf here: Mini bookcase - DIYWiki
8
8

cistern flush pipe reducer
In a nutshell, how do you connect a siphon with a 2" outlet to a 1.5" flush pipe (i.e. the pipe that runs from the cistern to the bowl)? A brief Google suggests either a new "tapered" flush pipe or a...
1
1

The future of the world?
"After the MIll was reduced the ground floor became the Nayland Light and Power Station which was closed in 1938. An electricity generator was powered by water running through the old Mill. In 1924...
83
83

Washbasin tap inserts
My bathroom washbasin taps have plastic inserts in the nozzle with holes in a kind of daisy shape. I suspect they are partly clogged. Are they removable for cleaning as I don't want to damage them by...
3
3

Scaffolding
Have to tackle a Leylandii hedge that I haven't cut in about 7 years. At th is stage it is nigh on 18' high. I have managed to get up to about 12/14' w ith a Stihl Kombi pole pruner with an extension...
24
24

Water heater tripping trip
Hi All, A friend has a smallholding with a small woden bungalow and has asked me to fix a problem with his water heater / electrics. Firstly, a little background (a little hazy as i've got most of it...
9
9

Couriers... again.
myHerpes are the new Gas Board: they wait patiently for the ten minutes whe n you're out of the house and then? "Sorry, we missed you." Last time they left the delivery in the landfill wheelie bin...
18
18

OT Pollution on a massive scale
Just thought I'd bring this up as a new topic. What some people here seem to want. I wonder what the cost of clearing this up will be? And who will end up paying.
9
9

Automatic vacuum socket?
Barely a DIY job goes by where I'm not using a power tool and, in many cases,a vacuum attached to it. What I'm after is a double (or more) socket (extension?) which can turn the vacuum on/off...
22
22

Septic Tank U Bend necessary?
There have been blockages in the pipe going to the septic tank: the farmer is proposing to remove the U Bend. Wouldnt this increase smells in the house, and might methane blow us up? [george]
11
11

Source of shaded pole induction motors?
Can anyone suggest a supplier for a replacement shaded pole induction motor? This is for a kitchen extract (not a hob extract) in a flat. The air outlet is linked to the building's exhaust system, and...
13
13

compact water tanks for flats
A friend with a flat has an all-in-one water tank, with a pair of header tanks on the top (heating circuit vented tank, and low pressure water supply), sitting on a large hot water tank. It's one...
4
4