Septic Tank U Bend necessary?

There have been blockages in the pipe going to the septic tank: the farmer is proposing to remove the U Bend.

Wouldnt this increase smells in the house, and might methane blow us up?

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Is it his tank then?

Does the tank require emptying? If it is seriously over full, with sediment blocking the inlet, that could be the cause of pipe blockages.

I had a septic tank for some years until we went on the main sewer. I was not aware of any U bend in the pipe going to the septic tank. The tank overflowed just as we were converting to main sewerage and, apart from a large swamp patch in the middle of the lawn, caused us no problems at any time.

You will have U bends in your toilet and all sinks and basins so nothing should get in to the house.

There should be a vent pipe just before the sewer enters you property so any methane should vent safely away to the atmosphere.

Reply to
Old Codger

On Sunday 09 June 2013 22:10 george - dicegeorge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I would have though the U bends in your house (toilet, sink traps etc) would be deal with all that.

I don't know a lot about DIY sewage farms, but consider the main public sewer - in most cases there are no functioning u bends outside of the house. There used to be but most of these have the bypass plug removed - I know mine is "open" to the road.

Methane and bad smells are as much of an issue with a public sewer (crap processes and breaks down even in main sewers (they reckon about half the processing has happened by the time it gets to the sewage works).

Reply to
Tim Watts

The tank belongs to 7 households, its in the farmer's field, it was overflowing and has been emptied, but got blocked again.

[g]

There are some vent pipes

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

What is causing the blockage? I'd almost put money on it being some form of sanitary product(*) with possibly a handful of condoms. None of which should go down the foul water system...

The basic rule is "If it hasn't been through you, don't flush it" the exception being proper toilet paper which falls a part very quickly when wet. Perhaps a bit of education is required?

(*) Not just the various products females use but also the childrens toilet training wet wipes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interceptor trap... It's not meant to be a bypass plug, it's a rodding eye for clearing the downstream pipe.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Technically that precludes vomit...

Reply to
polygonum

I assume the farmer is one who you get to empty your tank as he is cheap. He probably just sprays it on a field, I know the one here does. We use a professional man, his company motto is "Number one in the number two business", always amuses me. He issues a certificate of proper disposal, in addition of course his advice is professional, not amateur. I wonder if the farmer would get an NHS nurse in to treat his livestock?

Reply to
Broadback

On Monday 10 June 2013 07:51 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I know :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

quickly

True and I haven't got the wording quite right anyway. You can't use the word "in" as the blonde dimbos would flush tampons...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Those of us with septic tanks Give to you our heart-felt thanks For putting nothing in the pot That isn't guaranteed to rot.

Kleenex is bad, cotton buds too. Even wet wipes are taboo! No hair clippings, use the basket. There's a darn good reason why we ask it.

Reply to
Huge

reminds me of a story...

We used to have concrete cell pit. The previous owner told me (by way of w arning) that he once found the pipe was blocked and all the loos were backe d up. He had the pit pumped out. Then climbed inside so see if he could se e anything. The inlet pipe was at face height (standing inside the tank). then he saw the blockage and decided to free it my poking a rod up....it worked...

you can imagine the rest.

Reply to
RobertL