Subject Author Posted Replies

OT extreme modelling.
Not quite DIY but worth a look. There are a few videos on utube showing the construction. 5 years in the making and made entirely out of manilla folders, including working parts.
3
3

Those with an interest in the TV broadcast side of things...
May find this snoop around a now defunct analogue Tx interesting: (warning, features strong aussie accents!) Ever wondered how they transmit your TV signal? David Kilpatrick from TXAustralia takes us...
15
15

Price of 60W incandescent bulb?
What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt pearl bay onet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour nominal life common-s hape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes...
9
9

OT Bit of humour.

Re: Right angle drilling revisited
I got one from Aldidl a couple of years ago and had never used it. As it was rough as f*** I'd stripped it and put in some decent grease. Today, moving a batten holder along 1 joist, I'd got the 12V...
3
3

10mm Push Fit fitting
I have a water based flush system on my boat trailer ... using 10mm push fit fittings. (supplied with Indespension boat trailer) One of the 3 way equal Tees has broken. (need to get a spare)...
10
10

Re: Windmills in Winter ...
Arfa Daily formulated on Monday : I understand a modification is in the pipeline, to add a cranking handle at ground level to allow them to be turned by hand lol
38
38

Just how wrong the press can get the details
Looking at the tyre fire at Sherburn in Elmet, the reports vary from 15,000 tyres, to 1,000 tons, to 1,000 tyres. There was even a report I read of 100,000 tyres.
8
8

OT: Parking permits.
Wandsworth have announced they're doing away with paper resident's parking permits. They introduced paperless visitor's permits some time ago - the parking warden just checks the reg number of the car...
12
12

Cedar Roof Shingles
I asked some time ago about making my son's octagonal summerhouse roof waterproof. After a lot of thought, my son has purchased a bunch of shingles and cut the horizontal battens ready to screw them...

Are Stelrad radiators good?
I need to replace a 600 x 600 mm radiator (small leak) with something that will fit in the same space, although it can be thicker. I've found a Stelrad Elite K2 rated at 1067 W, & the price at the...
9
9

Metric thread dimensions
Could someone please confirm if I've right here: A 2mm[1] wide slot would accomodate an M2.5 threaded bar; A 4mm[2] wide slot would accomodate an M5 threaded bar? [1] A 2mm HSS drill shank sit...
9
9

Glue that will work in/on wet concrete or mortar
Dear All, I want to glue down some old tessellated tiles on a concrete or mortar sub strate. It is and will be wet or pretty damp and it is not practical to dry it out. I seem to remember that Sikadur...
2
2

Compression fittings - WTF?
Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix: and some other fittings all by Floplast Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy trying to get 3m...
7
7

Door Buffer
The door that divides two halves of the building here is on a mag catch linked to the smoke alarms and has a small spring loaded arm to close it when the smokes trigger and the catch releases. Trouble...
8
8