Cedar Roof Shingles

I asked some time ago about making my son's octagonal summerhouse roof waterproof.

After a lot of thought, my son has purchased a bunch of shingles and cut the horizontal battens ready to screw them onto the existing wooden roof.

As I understand it, the plan is to lay the shingles on these battens in some fashion that puts at least 3 shingle thicknesses over the whole roof, allowing for expansion and breathing gaps between individual shingles and under the new roof that will be formed.

My immediate job is to purchase capping shingles for the many ridges and the stainless (or perhaps copper) nails.

I just wonder if anyone here is an expert on this and can warn about any gotchas?

On my shed when I did the Onduline roof I didn't use the recommended nails, but used stainless screws with washers, and it is doing fine. I'm not sure how nails through the shingles are compatible with the need to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood.

Reply to
Bill