Those with an interest in the TV broadcast side of things...

May find this snoop around a now defunct analogue Tx interesting:

(warning, features strong aussie accents!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm actually surprised how small those 5kW valves are.

Reply to
Graham.

It's not actually much different to modern semiconductors. The limiting factor is how efficiently you can remove the heat by air or water.

Reply to
nemo

Water cooled valves. Now there's an interesting idea. I bet someone has done it somewhere.

Reply to
Andrew May

They don't scale that much in size from what I remember... I did some software development on some old Marconi transmission systems once. Their 10kW tuneable HF transmitter (H1141) had a similar sized valve[1] that could do 10kW out (and 16kW of heat up the chimney!))

The other side of the rig room in which I was integrating that, was a monster 2MW HF amp (the level setting audio preamp that fed it had a

250kW output just by itself). I was told the main valve in that was larger - but not dramatically so. (the coax on that made the one in the video look like a bit of limp string) [1] A two stage thermionic design again - semiconductor preamp stage, followed by penultimate and final stage valves. The first lifting to around 400W, and the big one at the end doing the bulk of the work.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, seen it done on a commercial transmitter. Gets the size down quite a bit.

Reply to
John Rumm

1:53 in.
Reply to
Graham.

IIRC the valves used for the 198 kHz Tx at Droitwhich are water cooled and they have some big goldfish in the pond...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , John Rumm writes

That was interesting, thanks for the link. Surprised at the sharp bends in the high-wattage RF copper tubes, would have thought that would be a no-no, analogous to kinking coax cable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Electric cars have watercooled motors and electronics. Radiator up front.

Reply to
harryagain

Mercury arc rectifiers (ignitrons). Can handle 10KA surges, nearly indestructible up to around 300KVA per unit Very useful for 100A+ fuse testing.

Reply to
Capitol

In article , Capitol writes

wonder what the presenter did to his hand?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Plastic!

Reply to
Capitol

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

Pikey's delight here;)...

tony sayer

And remember, that is co-ax, not copper pipe!

Reply to
Woody

In true Crocodile Dundee style, na, that's not a co-ax, *that*'s a co-ax (referring to the 12" diameter pipework that used to come out of the back of the 2MW HPA in the Marconi rig room... (it went to a huge cone shaped dummy load, that was water cooled, and the fairly substatial pipework for that fed a bank of fan assisted radiators in the car park (each abut half the size of a car)). IIRC they needed to phone the electric company to warn them when they were going to turn it on.

Reply to
John Rumm