How much is a pair of glasses?

How much is a pair of glasses over here or would i be better off going to w hat used to be Yugoslavia?

The prices can be silly. You can get standard reading glasses from a market stall for a pound or you can pay one or two hundred for Foster Grants etc. I am going to need prescription bifocals so it may be £100 or more for a cheap pair.

Tesco's opticians seem to offer a reasonable service. Anyone know better?

Glasses are like lawyers you don't know what you need until you are despera te and you can't tell bad from good until you get the bill.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

My sister was in Bejing recently. Glasses there were amazingly cheap. Might not be much help to you though. ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

Go to an optician get your prescription details and buy online, plenty of uk online suppliers.

Reply to
ss

Bifocals start from £55 from Glasses Direct

rt=price-asc&rows=60 (prices for single vision lenses, add £30 for bifocals)

I have no experience but I think other people here have used them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Weatherlawyer used his keyboard to write :

There's a guy who accasionally posts on here called Rick (posts as RBS) and he's a manufacturing optician based in Darwen, Lancashire, if you happen to be in this part of the country. He's brilliant and very reasonably priced - looks like his website is currently under construction but don't let that put you off

If you're not in this area then I'd look for a manufacturing optician near you.

Interestingly, my wife is a VAT inspector and when she first started the job she came home incenced every night because she knows how much things really cost and just how much markup goes on them. Even 'designer' frames such as D&G, only cost a few quid (and I may be wrong but I'm sure she said that they aren't even made by Dolce & Gabbana - they just have the D&B name on them) and then retail for hundreds.

It's a nightmare when we go shopping because she's forever saying, "Do you know how much this *really* costs?" :')

Reply to
Dave

I've been very happy with optical4less even if they are thousands of miles away!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've never found one that could do my, rather extreme, prescription with all the options I want. One thing I have wondered though is how do online suppliers manage to deal with fitting the glasses properly? IME that is just as important as the prescription.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tesco won't supply the pupillary distance - said not until after I'd ordered and then still wouldn't. I don't know how to measure it on my own and certainly don't want it to be wrong.

Reply to
PeterC

to what used to be Yugoslavia?

arket stall for a pound or you can pay one or two hundred for Foster Grants etc.

more for a cheap pair.

sperate and you can't tell bad from good until you get the bill.

How to measure your pupillary distance,

We've been buying online for years - started when SWMBO had a prescription from a high street optician which cost her nearly £200 and we later disco vered a pair of £2 readers matched identically......

Reply to
greyridersalso

Most opticians don't, it's a cunning ploy to get your business.

Glasses Direct have a way around it - they will send a guy to your house or work to measure it (free).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most online places won't do me either but ...

... that's because I have varifocals and fitting so you are looking through the right part of the lens is very important. I guess for the average punter with a simple, low power, single vision, no astigmatisium correction required onine is OK.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The prices can be silly. You can get standard reading glasses from a market stall for a pound or you can pay one or two hundred for Foster Grants etc. I am going to need prescription bifocals so it may be 100 or more for a cheap pair.

Tesco's opticians seem to offer a reasonable service. Anyone know better?

Glasses are like lawyers you don't know what you need until you are desperate and you can't tell bad from good until you get the bill.

You can get the prescription and email it to foriegn parts and get your specs about a quarter price if you want. Plenty on the internet.

Reply to
harryagain

Quote.....

Following the eye test, your optician is ? by law - obliged to give you a written copy of your prescription.

Top five things to tell an uppity optician

(who doesn't want to give you your prescription and is trampling General Optical Council regulations)

  1. It's the law. You have to give me my written prescription immediately following my eye test.
  2. My work needs it - receipt isn't enough for them to pay for my eye test.
  3. My doctor wants a copy.
  4. I want to buy my glasses from Glasses Direct (our favourite).
  5. I want to frame it.

Remember ? you've paid for your prescription. It's yours, and you have every right to it.

Link...

ss

really, where did she go? (and was this for made to prescription "short sighted" lenses?)

I first tried the local (to the office) optician and got a quote about 85% of the cost in the UK, so with no (usable) warranty, that was a no. This was accompanied by one of my Chinese colleagues so that he could: translate, and ensure that I wasn't ripped off as a numpty tourist. Oh and they couldn't read my UK script so they worked out what I needed by reverse engineering my current glasses and I got back a piece of paper with exactly the same numbers on it, just in different places on the form!

And then at the weekend I sought out the place that all the guide books said was where the cheap shops were. Not sure if I found it but after some searching I got to an "enclosed market" where all of the places were opticians . Some of them didn't want to deal in English and said "go away" but one that did looked at my script (the new Chinese one) and on hearing that I wanted sun glasses said that it was too strong for me to have polarized glass and would have to have normal glass - which costs more than the polarized glass!. But in both cases they were in excess of 75% of the UK price so I went away empty handed.

At the time I looked to get change from 100 quid in the UK for a buy one get one free deal, so that 40 quid a pair. Thus "really cheap" in my book means "change from a tenner" and they certainly weren't that price, or anything close

tim

Reply to
tim......

How to measure your pupillary distance,

We've been buying online for years - started when SWMBO had a prescription from a high street optician which cost her nearly £200 and we later discovered a pair of £2 readers matched identically......

you don't need to go online to buy reading glasses for 2 quid. You can buy them in high street chemists

tim

Reply to
tim......

I have found that a number of people I know who are occasional glasses wearers simply don't recognise when they are having problems with their glasses.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"harryagain" wrote in news:l8vif6$d5l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Measuring the pupilliary distance seems very crude. The lady who helps you to choose frames uses a ruler. Surely an accurate way sould be for the machine that looks into your eyes to have a scale for its horizontal traverse. Your head is still and the dvice is moved from one eye to the other. Easy matter to fit a digitl readout.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

ASDA, cheap and they work.

Internet is OK if you just need plain lenses, useless if you want varifocals.

Reply to
dennis

I looked online and by the time you have added high index, multi-coating, etc. they aren't cheaper than going in ASDA and having yourself measured and fitted.

Reply to
dennis

The key bit of information there is that the inter-pupil distance is not part of the prescription, and they are not obliged to provide it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon