Compression fittings - WTF?

Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix:

and some other fittings

all by Floplast Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy trying to get 3m on the bus. The fitting on the waste is tight on the pipe; the 90deg. bend is firm but the 45deg. one is a bit 'soft'. It's only to turn the flow down from about

30deg. from horizontal, so no pressure on it, but I wouldn't want to trust it v. much elsewhere.

Did I get the wrong fitting or is the system just crap?

Reply to
PeterC

Compression fittings for waste pipe are pretty much universal and foolproof. Did you dismantle each joint and make sure the rubber ring was on the pipe correctly and the right way round?

Reply to
harryagain

Did you tighten them up the same amount? Are the rubber rings in the correct place?

Reply to
dennis

Compression waste fittings are pretty universal - are you sure you didn't get solvent weld pipe?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There was ABS solvent weld pipe next to it; I tried that and it was no go; tried the polyprop in a bend that I already had from SF and it was a reasonable fit, but not as snug as in the fittings on the trap. As for the washer and seal: I just unscrewed the ring and slid it on the pipe (having checked that it was correct) and for the second joint on the

45deg. bend I didn't even dismantle it but just looked to check that the seal and washer were correctly inserted. The joints aren't too bad - it was just the difference that got me.
Reply to
PeterC

I prefer the McAlpine Multifit compression fittings over the others I've tried. They seem to take a slightly wider range of pipe sizes (surely a universal compression should take solvent weld pipe isn't that's what the universal bit is about) including the copper waste pipe I have. And the internal pipe sleeve does seem to make for a good snug joint.

Reply to
chris French

Yes, would seem to be better but I had to do this in a hurry and bought what I could. As it turned (chiselled) out, the old fittings were push-fit - I suppose that I could have got those instead. Not too important as the 'softer' joints are all outside.

Reply to
PeterC

Do the pipe and fittings have sizes imprinted in them? Bores are the same a cross manufacturers but some use different wall thicknesses. I think there are also different sizes of Floplast (40mm, 43mm).

Cheers Richard

If you are reading this from Google Groups, please be aware this is not a f orum, and you are using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block p osters coming from web portals, but they haven?t come to terms with the o bsolescence of the phonograph.

Reply to
geraldthehamster