Help to convert toilet to washing machine connection

My daughter has just started the process of purchasing a house. There is not facility for a washing machine, but there is a toilet installed under the stairs which she does not require. I wonder if it is easy to remove the toilet and plumb a washing machine in its place. The water connection should be no problem but what about the waste? Is there a fitting that can be placed in the toilet outlet that would make it easy to connect a washing machine waste? I am at the disadvantage that I have not had the opportunity to visit, so do not know exactly how it is plumbed at the moment. Any pointers would be most welcomed.
Broadback wrote:

Pull out the toilet and the multiqwik pan connector to leave a 110mm pipe or socket. Add an 90 degree bend if needed** and a piece of vertical stack as tall as you can easily fit say as tall as the machine*. Cap off the top, might need a durgo valve or at least do it so you can add one later, and fit a washing machine trap to the stack low down via a strap boss and the job's a good un.
* give a bit of buffer against any high velocity turds from upstairs
** not needed if the toilet plugged into the floor vertically
On 25/02/16 13:33, Bob Minchin wrote:

+1
But I would use a waster converter 110mm cap or joint. eg:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/boss-pipe-grey/18246
http://www.screwfix.com/p/waste-manifold-grey-sp588/22367
and, if it's not a pushfit waste joint, you use one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-boss-adaptor-40mm-pack-of-5/89174
(avail in 32,40,50mm).
May not need an AAV - unless there's another loo on the same branch which has no AAV already. If there is another loo downstream, the washing machine won't cause any suction, but the washing machine standpipe u trap would be at risk of being sucked dry when the loo is flushed.
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 13:01:15 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Assuming it's modern plastic plumbing, yes. Rather more work if the WC pan is cemented into a ceramic pipe disappering in to the floor.
There's no prohibition about having a washing machine in a toilet room, if there's sufficient space.
Removing a ground floor toilet might have Building Regulations impications?
Owain
On 25/02/16 13:51, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

yes. Disabilty crap.
'toilet on principle storey' IIRC.

Pun intended?
On 25/02/16 14:28, GB wrote:

No, but there you go.

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 14:51:49 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Yes. But not likely to be a problem if you don't actually go round to the building control department and shout "I'VE REMOVED THE ONLY GROUND FLOOR TOILET".
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 07:12:42 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner

And don't sell the house.
--
Dave W

On 25/02/16 17:44, Dave W wrote:

"It's always been like that..."
On 25/02/16 17:44, Dave W wrote:

Even that is actually not an issue. Building control is there to ensure that MATERIAL ALTERATIONS conform to LATEST REGULATIONS.
If they don't notice you doing it in the first place there is no requirement to upgrade a house to the regs.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 13:51:49 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

If not I'm sure one could cobble together some sort of washing machine - toilet hybrid. :)
NT
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 18:55:14 UTC, tabbypurr wrote:

Really though why go to all the trouble of removing the bog if you can put the WM on a stand over the pan. Means the facilities are never removed, which is a plus.
NT
On Thursday, 25 February 2016 19:57:03 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Two possible reasons: 1. You can't put the WM on a stand over the pan because there isn't the vertical headroom. (This is a cupboard under the stair remember).
2. You want the space above the WM for other storage.
I would say "1" was overwhelmingly more likely.
On 2016-02-25, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I imagine something from "Handyman's Corner" on _The Red Green Show_, with lots of duct tape.
On 25/02/2016 13:01, Broadback wrote:

Does the toilet not have a basin? Remove the basin and put the w/m waste in the basin drain. Remove the toilet and stuff a bag in the waste. Ideally, you would want to retain the facility to convert this easily back to a toilet later.
Or something like this, maybe. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-White-90-Deg-Pan-Connector-With-Waste-Pipe-Connection/p/158826
On 25/02/2016 13:01, Broadback wrote:

It's very likely to be possible without too much trouble, but a lot depends on how the toilet waste is currently plumbed.
If you can come back with a photo of the current setup after you've visited the place, it will be a lot easier to give more specific advice.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Yes, I did it in a previous house.
Toilet out, capped the 4in pipe (horizontal into wall) with a blanking cap. Removed overflow pipe and filled hole both sides. Changed plumbing to provide tap for washing machine (cold fill only). Drilled hole through wall for 40mmm waste for machine, fitted waste and trap, waste discharging into outside drain*. Job done.
You might be able to remove the toilet soil pipe altogether and cap it at the tee on the soil stack. There exist 4 inch blanking caps with inserts for 32/40mm waste pipe.
One thing I would suggest is checking the floor - if it's suspended, the noise of the machine will reverberate throughout the house, especially when spinning. You might want to think about soundproofing the floor somehow.
* the house was of an age where brown water and rainwater were mixed and discharged together to the sewer.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!