Guttering Question

Hi. This is something I know zero about so I hope someone can help. There was some stormy weather a while back and a downpipe that was clipped to the wall was torn off. It seems to be 110mm diameter and went into a hole in the concrete path at the back of the house.

At the top of the pipe was a swan neck with a pointed cap opening but not connected to the guttering.

I don't see what use it is. Maybe part of some previous guttering but I've seen it on other houses.

Can I still get a 110mm downpipe and swan neck/cap? I've looked online but 110mm seems to be for industrial use.

Thanks.

Reply to
Capri

That sounds like a soil pipe, which comes in 110mm diameter:

The swan neck is presumably to allow sewer gases to vent without debris getting in the pipe. The usual fitting for venting is something like this:
I'm guessing the guttering is plumbed into the soil pipe rather than going into a separate soakaway (old house or clay soil?) - it isn't a guttering downpipe but is a soil pipe that happens to have guttering connected into it.

I'm not sure what design of swan neck you have (when I search they're mostly toilet u-bends) but perhaps looking for soil pipe fittings might help?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Try searching for soil pipe rather than guttering

alan_m

Something like this?

Its to vent your toilet waste smells above windows etc.

the pointy cap is to stop debris (birds nesting) entering the pipe

Reply to
alan_m

My guess its nothing to do with the guttering. The swan neck is to get a soil pipe initially fixed to the wall to get higher than the roof/gutter overhang and is constructed from two 135 degree bends with a bit of pipe between.

Vertical pipe up the wall - 135 degree bend - short length of pipe - 135 degree bend - longer piece of pipe fitted vertically - vent terminal cap.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Capri

Just an observation. My "swan neck" is a single cast iron piece to which I have inserted a plastic vertical pipe and cap. Both my neighbours "swan necks" are 90 degree bends with a small piece of pipe joining them. One neighbour has a large roof/gutter overhang and the extended vertical pipe just misses the guttering. The other neighbour roof overhang is much narrower and and two 135 degree bends with a connecting pipe would have looked neater :)

Reply to
alan_m

That is what I thought. If its busted you will soone know, mine is plumbed in to the upstairs toilet. The bottom goes into the sewer, not the water drain, though these older estates seem to be basically doing that in some places, in others there are not very well made soak always. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff