Continuous guttering question

We have a smashing carport, made by Spouse with twin or it might be triple wall plastic wotnot. It runs along the long wall of our house, over the drive.

Odd I know but we're individuals ...

Now we want to replace the timber guttering with this clever continuous metal stuff because it's deeper and lighter and less prone to leaking at the corners.

Is it possible to install it one's self? The thought of even the most sympathetic workmen clambering over our plastic carport roof isn't appealing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suppose that you could insist on being involved in the installation - so as to supervise and prevent damage to your carport. It's not the sort of stuff that you can buy at B&Q and then take home to fit - it comes flat on a roll, and is shaped on site and cut to length, using a special machine carried in the back of the installer's van.

You have presumably got to fit the guttering to the wall of the house some way above the carport roof? How would you get yourself in the right position if you did it yourself? It sounds to me like the sort of job which requires a scaffolding tower each end and some very long and rigid planks to span over the roof. Either that or one of those "raise yourself up in a bucket" devices used for cleaning streetlamps. Either can be hired.

I think I would let the suppliers install it - but would find out in advance exactly how they intended to get at it without damaging your carport. Also, make sure that they have adequate insurance in case the worst happens.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills
.

I know ... that's why I can't see that it could be done by us but Spouse insists that he could do it.

Well, I wouldn't be doing it :-) He says it would be easy, with a ladder on the carport roof - properly supported and on a protected plank of course. He's been up to the existing gutter like that.

Sounds expensive ... but it's a thought.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Continuous gutter ie Pressed Aluminium, is usually made from a machine in the back of the contractors van which presses a flat sheet of aluminium to size and cut to length. So it is not normally DIY.

It can be noisy when the rain rattles down the downpipe, and the corner joints are just as likely to leak as any other system.

You should not clamber on to the twinwall roof sheets, but remove them to allow access to fit the gutter and then refix them. They do come out easily.

I am intrigued as to your existing timber guttering - what is this? I have never seen any in the UK

dg

Reply to
dg

I know, but 'normally' doesn't mean 'never' :-)

The ones I've inspected on neighbours' houses seem to have no problems. Surely if they leak the maker should make them good?

We don't clamber but have stood on them for window cleaning and gutter repairs. With a crawl board there's no problem.

It's guttering made from wood ... perhaps you're very young :-))))

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher