Subject Author Posted Replies

plasterboard
Lath and plaster stud wall circa 1905. I've taken down the lath and plaster of one side of a dividing wall to be left with the underlying stud work where, on average, the vertical studs are...
3
3

Levelling a hearth
Just had my daughter on the phone - at least she is the practical one that can wield a tape measure reliably, and is reasonably savvy about doing some things herself. Anyway she wants her unused...
8
8

EU appliance power regulation again
Another article on EU appliance power regulation Kettles are on the list. However they are going to run tests on the possible savings. The fact that kettles are even on the list shows the level of...
16
16

Metal paint
Noticed in Aldi today, that they have solvent based paint for sale at I think £4.99/L.
3
3

Lasers - was 'LED bulbs damage the eyes?"
Hugh's question reminded me to ask this question: how dangerous are laser pointer "toys"? AFAIK you can't buy them in this country, but they're easily available elsewhere, and when we were in Canada...
15
15

patio edging
Getting ready to sort out the patio. I have read the paving expert site (several times over the years !). The slabs will are decent moulded ones, 45mm thick in various sizes. Part of the patio will be...
3
3

OT: Some good news for Harry?
Researchers at Glasgow University have claimed a breakthrough in producing hydrogen fuel from water. They said their process is fast, clean and cheap. It can store energy from the sun and wind....
29
29

LED bulbs damage the eyes?
I seem to remember reading this somewhere. Can anyone tell me if it's true or not? Hugh
34
34

Air in pipework/water hammer
The plumbing at a friend's house produces a loud, rhythmic knocking noise, of diminishing amplitude, over 2 or 3 seconds, each time a tap is turned of f. Is this "water hammer"? My first thought was...
11
11

OT Faster than Google Earth
Fast and easy street viewing - Google Maps & Streetview at its best. Formerly know as mapstreetview.com.
11
11

SEALEY Tyre Inflator with Twin Push-On Connector Sealey SA9312
I have one of these. When i connect it to a compressor the air comes out of the top nozzle not the one on the tyre. I'm doing something wrong Help Thanks Chris
5
5

language neutral instructions
Assembling the waste and trap under my shower tray. The instructions are non-language ie symbols and arrows only. They show a paintbrush with PVC written across it in places. I have bought some...
3
3

will water hammer be an issue?
If I run a 30m of 20mm blue water pipe from the house to the bottom of the garden and have the supply switched on and off at termination point by a solenoid valve am I likely to have issues with water...
4
4

Yale telecomms alarms
I am considering a temporary burglar alarm installation so wish to avoid the professionals:-) Yes, I have read the concerns about radio jamming/false alarms etc. The installation blurb does not say...
15
15

Acoustic ventilation
I have purchased a flat that has (or perhaps I should say had) some "acoustic vents" which are designed to let air through but keep sound out. They have seen better days: some of them are rusty and...
3
3