plasterboard

Lath and plaster stud wall circa 1905. I've taken down the lath and plaster of one side of a dividing wall to be left with the underlying stud work where, on average, the vertical studs are approximately 400mm (16 inches) apart.

The replacement wall will be 12.5mm plasterboard but I will need a horizontal join.

Should I to insert noggins between the studs at the point of this horizontal join to allow a few more fixings, or is this overkill?

The final wall will be completely tiled.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think you'd need noggins - I haven't, except where radiators are mounted.

Reply to
RJH

What you can do is leave a 1/4" gap between the boards which don't meet at a timber, and then force bonding coat into the gap (so it oozes through just like the plaster on the lathes did). This will glue the board edges together. You still want scrim tape across the joins though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , alan_m writes

I would and have done in the past, it will reduce the risk of flex in one sheet while the other remains still, resulting in a crack at the joint.

While the tiles will add to the strength I would still use noggins. I assume you are using the boards vertically so the joint will be at 2.4m but the amount of work involved with noggins is minimal.

If you prefer not to use noggins (and have the extra work of cutting them accurately to length) then you can use a length of ply or similar

150mm wide and just under the stud the width to act as a backplate which will be screwed through the plasterboard from the front. That will prevent flex at the joint but the length of the cut pieces is not critical so it can be done more quickly.
Reply to
fred