Hanging on internal plasterboard walls

I have an LCD tv with a weight of 21kg, is it possible to hang it on a

internal plaster board wall? What sort of weight this type of wal would take? thank

-- crewroom

Reply to
crewroom

I would only fit one to the wooden battens that hold the plasterboard. If no battens use a different wall

Tony

Reply to
TMC

This thread might help (if the link fails search Google Groups for "Fixing radiator to wall"):

Martin Pentreath

The thread appears to refer to dot and dab to brick walls not internal plasterboard walls

Tony

Reply to
TMC

So.... who's going to write a page for the Wiki eh? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

On what?

Plasterbaord is perfectly capable of taking a 21kg compressive - and shear - load over a wide enough area..the solution would appear to be to use car body filler to attach the whole TV directly to it..just mix up a couple of buckets, spread it on the wall, and press the TV in place holding until set. ;-

Screws are for wusses

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plasterboard won't take 21kg. You have to find out what kind of plasterboard wall it is.

It could be;

Plasterboard on timber studs. Look at the skirting boards to see if you can see any filled fixings at 400mm or 600mm spacings.

In this case fix into the studs.

It could be 'dot & dab'. A stud detector will show completely variable results. In this case a fixing has to be made into the brick/block behind the plasterboard, with a spacer between the board & the wall.

There are other more obscure types......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

crewroom,

Depends on the construction of the wall.

If it's of a pre-fabricated Paramount type (plasterboard, egg crating, plasterboard with 1 1/2" square timber uprights every two feet or so) - then no!

What sort of weight will it carry - just about take a central heating radiator with its brackets screwed to the wall with cavity fixings - the type that I have in my house, and what a pain they are to fix anything to.

If it's of a stud partition (4"x2" [or similar] timber uprights every sixteen inches or so with noggins, head and sole plates) - then yes, with the brackets screwed onto the uprights!

What sort of weight will it carry - if properly designed and constructed - just about anything (within reason of course) that you care to fix to it.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Of course it will. Take 21kg. If the force is applied over a large enough area and the board is supported well enough on the studs and the floor.

The trouble is no one is talking about t he real issues..how to transfer the load over the large area. And how the board is supported,

To be practical though, I'd rip the board out and put in some 12mm MDF.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you just come back from the pub?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

More or less..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Brian G" wrote

Brian

Not sure from your post, but do you have Paramount walls? I have and they are utter cr@p! Flex when lent on (bad for tiled walls obviously) and zero sound insulation. How did these ever get accepted for domestic use and building regs?

I also believe that the general solidity of the upper floor is less rigid as a result of these things. Hence you can hear more first floor noise/footfalls transmitted to the ground floor.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Any flimsy studwork wall can be easily upgraded by the simple expedient of screwing some 19mm ply over it and more plasterboard. The skim (or paper over) and paint..

Sometimes its the simplest option.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher