Yale telecomms alarms

I am considering a temporary burglar alarm installation so wish to avoid the professionals:-)

Yes, I have read the concerns about radio jamming/false alarms etc.

The installation blurb does not say how the system phones out. Is this hard wired, requires active Internet connection, or?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have used a Yale wireless alarm with telecom in my playpen for a while. They're not bad, not ideal, but not bad. Telecom connection is by BT socket and will dial up to 3 numbers IIRC. Also they are user friendly, easy to programme and quite scaleable. I only use PIR's, door sensors, smoke alarm, phone connection and bellbox. Up to 20 sensors can be added, I think. Changing the batteries in bellbox is a pita if high mounted. Have converted mine to remote battbox. Mine doesn't have internet connection, don't know about more modern devices. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

I've had one (the high frequency version) for the last year or so, and it seems fine. No false alarms at all - unlike my old 420MHz system, which could be set off with an Orange 1800MHz mobile phone (even when disarmed). Amateur transmissions on 144 and 432MHz don't seem set it off. I have also considered remotely powering the bellbox. I haven't yet fathomed out the phone warning, and I have left it at the default (ie it is set to ring only one phone number, and leaves a totally incomprehensible message!). Some time ago, I had to replace the battery in one of the sensors (I've forgotten which, and I can't remember whether it was part of the original kit, or one of the additional units I bought but the original vendor didn't stock).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , JimK writes

OK chaps. That's clear enough. Likely to be permanently armed so radio signal false alarms an issue. Not close to public highway though. How close would a mobile phone need to be to trigger it?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

I usually keep my phone on a shelf about 1 foot away from the alarm wall unit. When on the shelf, the phone is normally turned off, but occasionally I've accidentally left it on overnight. It's never triggered the un-set alarm. When I leave the house, I usually take set the alarm, and take my phone with me, so I don't know the likelihood of it setting off a set alarm.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

/Tim Lamb In message , JimK writes

OK chaps. That's clear enough. Likely to be permanently armed so radio signal false alarms an issue. Not close to public highway though. How close would a mobile phone need to be to trigger it? /

Reckon on 2 yrs batt life all around using good batts & minimal triggering. System warns you well in advance of low batts and their locations...

Never had a 'proper' false alarm but am semi rural...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It doesn't really matter. These autodial alarms can be disabled by an intruder without any tools and without knowing where they are mounted faster than they can dial out.

Reply to
Peter Parry

/It doesn't really matter. These autodial alarms can be disabled by an intruder without any tools and without knowing where they are mounted faster than they can dial out.../q

Even a GSM one?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , Peter Parry writes

And if the home phone is hidden? Overhead cable? And would that switch off the audible alarm?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The cheaper ones all use phone lines (and that is what we are discussing). Those using Pacnet or GSM are normally much more expensive (and much more reliable as they generally do frequent "I'm still alive" calls).

Reply to
Peter Parry

A novel approach :-)

Overhead or underground makes no difference.

No, but unless you have neighbours willing to pop around to confirm their are intruders no one else (other than the Local Authority noise abatement team) is going to take any notice.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

Not difficult for long periods of vacancy.

Actually the phone drop is in a gable end where the exterior bits could be located. Unplugging the hand sets would be trivial

I was thinking beyond easy reach of snips.

I live within 60m.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So is phoning the house phone line and if it's engaged by an incoming call (whether answered or not) it can't be used for an outgoing call by the alarm.

Hence why alarms should be on incoming-calls-barred lines. On many professional systems an incoming call on the alarm line would be treated as a tamper attempt.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Some alarms effectively do that anyway when premises are unoccupied, and lifting a handset can either trigger the alarm, or optionally prompt for the alarm code to disable the alarm before reconnecting the internal lines to the exchange line.

Yes it can (it performs a line seize, which will put any previous call on hold).

Alarms do not require incoming-calls-barred lines - they have no problem with incoming calls if correctly designed. On higher end systems, the monitoring station can call the alarm system in some circumstances, e.g. to retrieve logs, perform remote engineer reset, perform remote configuration, etc.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

None of the proper systems are affected by the line being in use or not as they use out of band signaling.

Reply to
Peter Parry