Initial/Chubb burglar alarm engineer code

A friend has moved into a new house with an Accenta 8 alarm system which was originally installed by Protec, who were taken over by Initial then Chubb. It looks like the battery is flat as when he had to switch the electric off, the alarm went off. I believe to change the battery he'll need the engineer code, which Chubb won't let him have and want to charge a silly amount to come and change it. On the panel is written "Initial eng code".

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

TIA, Jason

Reply to
zorro

"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for security alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

Reply to
Adrian

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on usenet with that email address....doh!

guess your "friend" will have to pay up or dump the alarm and buy another ;>) simples!

Reply to
Jim K

You can't unset the alarm with it so it'd be no use to burglars. Anyway my email is valid.

Jason

Reply to
zorro

Yes, I usually use an invalid email.

-- Andy

Reply to
zorro

andy? was "jason" first time? LOL

Reply to
Jim K

"Jim K" wrote

Can't he just set the thing off, disable the bell box battery (to silence the external sounder) then locate the factory reset button-thingy to return the panel to factory defaults? Granted he'll need to get instructions for re-setting of the panel and then re-programming with zone info etc before hand. If the alarm is generally good this has to be a better option for battery replacement than junking the equipment.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I used to have a maintained and monitored system in a previous property, and my alarm company was a member of NACOSS

NACOSS rules say that alarm companies must hand over the engineer code to the homeowner free of charge, if the homeowner ends the maintainance contract.

Reply to
dom

He does have the instructions to do a factory reset and reprogram, which he'll do if all else fails. Someone in another group suggested just what he did ie changing the battery while the alarm is going off, which would be quicker than a factory reset. But he'll need to check the engineer code isn't needed to reset after a 'tamper'.

Although he's now got this crazy idea of going through all 10,000 codes till one works, he reckons he can do 100 in 6 mins so he can the lot in 10 hours but I'm sure he'll knacker the keypad before then!

Reply to
zorro

Thanks - but unfortunately it was the previous occupants who cancelled the contract several years ago.

Reply to
zorro

Well you didn't seem to believe "Jason" did you "Jim"

Reply to
zorro

It is probably not a good idea.

I have however phoned a friend and by tomorrow night I should have the answer.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Under what name? JimK knows who you are but I do not. It may or make a difference regarding me giving you the Initial master code.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

eh? No I never heard of any of all 3 of 'em ;>)

Just found it a bit odd that someone starts posting form a "new" (yet allegedly valid) email addy asking burglar alarm security questions on

2 groups and using at least 2 names in 3 posts....call me shushpicious if need be....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Have you considered that it's already out there, and that the real fix would be to change it after installation?

An Accenta panel is cheap and pretty common, so Bill Sykes can find this out, in a worst case, simply by buying a new panel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well perhaps you're right to be suspicious. These are my usual posting details - I used my friend's name/email in case anyone preferred to email the details rather than potentially get into trouble by posting on a public forum.

But then I'm still an anonymous stranger on usenet (after all anyone could use the posting details I'm using now, or those of any poster), if there's a security risk in giving out the engineer code then don't do it - he has other options and I've had lots of good advice. But AIUI the engineer code is for maintenance of the system and can't be used to unset the system - you can only get into engineer programming if the system is unset with the user code first.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Buying a new panel would only give you the factory default setting. Alarm installers always change the factory default setting so that the customer cannot make changes themselves. Most alarm companies change the factory defalt number to a number that is common to their firm.

ADT for example always use the same engineers code on all their alarms. As I know the code I can modify their alarms.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

could "mystery customer" (assuming it exists) not just fit the new panel ? or are there some other overheads that are best avoided?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

You have lost me with the mystery customer?

I have come across some alarm panels where it is easier and cheaper just to swap the panel for a new panel. I do not take control of the panel by changing the engineers code and keeping it for the use of extracting more money from a customer.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

sorry;>) I meant jason/andy/pandy/zorro/ben10's mate with the alarm problem

thassa what I wasa gettin at - as another way for the "mysterious" person with the prob. to get around...

I believe you ;>)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K