Subject Author Posted Replies

Royal Mail puzzle
Yesterday, Royal Mail left a card telling me that I needed to pay £2.50 for unpaid postage on an item to be delivered. I paid online, and today, the item was delivered. It was an envelope with one...
15
15

Thunderbird 91.13.1 keeps requesting gmail login
I have just upgraded to Tbird 91.13.1 and I have 3 email addresses set up, one of which is a gmail account. Previous I would be asked to enter the password in turn for each account and I just ignored...
12
12

Battening for fixing skirting board
I've removed some of the ground floor skirting to repair the hardwood floor and now need to fit new skirting. The plaster is thick (15-25mm) and ends about 140mm above the floor so I'm planning to use...
9
9

HDMI leads - reasonably priced supplier of 15m HDMI 2.*?
Looking for a reasonably priced (and reputable) supplier of a 15m HDMI 2.* lead. Length seems to be a problem for the suppliers I've looked at so far and I thought I could maybe rely on suggestions...
41
41

Hive TRVs - can each TRV be scheduled separately?
I have a Hive system with a single room thermostat. The house is quite large and we don’t use all the rooms, those we do use tend to be used in a fairly predictable pattern. While most radiators...
4
4

Another one for the plumbers
Considering boiler settings to save gas it has occurred to me that routinely exceeding 60deg.C may not be necessary for a thermal store where the water supply is never exposed to the atmosphere....
10
10

Micro molten salt reactor can fit on a truck, power 1k homes. When it's built
This micro molten salt reactor is designed to fit on a truck • The Register This micro molten salt reactor is designed to fit on a truck • The Register
7
7

John Deere takes on Rufford ford
Sploooooosh That JCB fastrac can do 50 mph but he didn't give it much welly going through the water. I wonder if those farmers were actually shifting stuff or had they done a deal for a cut of the...
6
6

Fecking NSANDI have made premium bond online even more difficult
Just tried to login to and they have made yet another change to the login. They have now decided to send a 6-digit OTP to the registered phone number, which is a landline for me but it converts to...
19
19

Stripping paint off old front door
I have offered to repair and re-paint my friend's front door. It's an old house, c. 1900, and has a panelled front door. The bottom panel has split which I intend to repair - no problem so far. The...
8
8

Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation
This is to any one out there who knows what the safety rulings are in the UK for installing an electrical socket under my new sink to power the dishwasher? I always was told that this should never be...
47
47

Cause of frequent power interruptions: "livestock rubbing themselves against poles causing [circuit breakers] to operate" ;-)
Every year at about this time, we get a large number of power interruptions, ranging from 1 second to a minute or so. I've lodged a complaint with Northern Powergrid and had a reply from their...
33
33

Fitting copper draft strip
Anyone done this? Our inner porch door has gaps between the frame and the door. Fitting foam strips to the closing face of the frame would stop the door latching and I think would make the door hard...
12
12

[SOLVED] How do you solder a dripping pipe?
I'm adding a radiator to my central heating and I'd like to know if there is any way to be able to immediately solder the 22mm pipes just after they've been cut and are still dripping. I could use a...
59
59

Does a bathroom fan fed from a 6A lighting circuit really need a 3A fuse
The bearings on my old extractor fan are on the way out and I'm replacing it with a Vent-Axia VASF100T model. The manufacturer's instructions state it should be protected with a 3A fuse. I can see the...
19
19