Thunderbird 91.13.1 keeps requesting gmail login

I have just upgraded to Tbird 91.13.1 and I have 3 email addresses set up, one of which is a gmail account.

Previous I would be asked to enter the password in turn for each account and I just ignored the gmail account.

Now I am getting a big popup (? from google) requesting login details.

Other then removing the gmail account from Thunderbird, is there a way of stopping this ?.

Andrew

PS is anyone on 102.3.1 and is it worth upgrading to this ?

Reply to
Andrew

Sure its not the double password gmail crap that came in earlier this year. I'm still using TB version 15.0.1 for this post and also clutter-free gmail access

Reply to
N_Cook

In message <thn5sr$1ji1$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com writes

Is this of any relevance (concerned with Thunderbird being used on XP).

Also, if you have a Gmail webmail account, you can use it (in 'Security') to generate a special password for use for Gmail run in Thunderbird. This stops it repeatedly going around the double authentication loop.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

For what its worth, the one time password does not seem to be available if you use a machine running XP and Vista. I could not get it to work since the web site seems to know what browser version you are on and won't let you do much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message <thop73$3kr2h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

It was two or three months ago, and I certainly had trouble on my XP PC. Without checking my notes (which I hope I made!), I think the fix was the change to the TB config file, as in the link I gave.

"SOLVED - Gmail vs Thunderbird on Windows XP"

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I am on it. I cannot really see a difference. I use 5 e-mail accounts and, including my gmail account (just to use my mobile) all have their passwords set up.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

And I've never been asked for double authentication despite all the noise that Google made about it.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I seem to remember years ago I had to go onto my google account and disable 'Don't use third party apps for gmail access' to get GMail to work with TB ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

I can't give you a reason to upgrade, but I can say that I have mine set to update automatically and with the current version, I am having no problems and so can say that I can't see a particular reason not to upgrade.

Reply to
SteveW

I haven't been able get Thunderbird to work properly since it updated. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Which Windows, and which version of TB? I'm using TB V52.9.1* on XP, and V102.3.2** on W10.

*The highest version that works on XP. **Presently, the latest update.

IIRC, you need to log into your Goggle account (and not, as I incorrectly said, your online Gmail), and generate an app password. Use this for the Gmail password in TB (and several other email programs). See

With XP, you also need to do that config file change.

Ian Jackson

I'm on 102.3.2 (64-bit) with no issues. Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

Two factor authentication ins now mandatory on Gmail, but if you cannot do this for any reason you have to go into their webmail and set up a one time password for that machine and that machine only. Then when you manually enter a code I think sent to a mobile, you're let in. Of course i have no idea if your dynamic address from the isp changes if that affects it. Not so far here, but later Thirds are supposed to cope with two factor. I wonder if its cost the client has changed that it now wants to re register you

Certainly I could not make any sense of it when I tried to get Gail to work on a windows 10 laptop as when I connected via a different wifi it would not let me send anything unless I did it via web and created the password, then it would not let me in at home. I am thinking at the moment that if we are going to go down this two factor route, perhaps passwords have had their day. I'm afraid no matter what security you put in the weakest link is the human and the ability of hackers. I'm told that in the end everyone will be forced to use password managers so you keep one master password but have no idea what the individual ones are. Myself, I don't see how that will solve the problem as we are always told never to use the same password twice, but if somebody gets your master on by hacking your machine where of course you stored it due to your muddled memory, then you are back at square one?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff