dryer keeps tripping breaker

In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15 min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all untill i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet

Reply to
thomas hoy

Ten years since this was posted, the breaker is still tripping. The rest of the house burned down from an electrical fire.... All that remains is the burnt dryer and that damn breaker which trips every 15 seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year..... (and the dead guy who keeps resetting it).

Reply to
Paintedcow

Fix the neutral problem and start over.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am pretty sure it's a fake posy but in the event it's real...

Yep...Properly fix the neutral first

Reply to
philo

Get the fxxxxxg Electrician to do it right, or get electrician that is electrician???

In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15 min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all untill i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet

Reply to
Tony944

Could never quite get my mind around what the "neutral" is in an electrical circuit...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Neither could the NFPA, that is why it is called the grounded conductor in the code. It is the conductor that carries the unbalanced circuit current in a center tapped transformer derived service. That does get tossed on it's head when the grounded conductor is in a corner grounded delta service. It will still look like the panel in your house (two hots and a grounded white conductor) but it is 3 phase. The place I see it most is sewer lift stations.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 03/31/2016 06:01 PM, Wade Garrett wrote: t over.

Electrically it goes to the same place as ground but for safety purposes the ground and neutral are kept separate.

The neutral wire is designed to carry current...in the case of a 230 volt drier, the heating element would go across the full 230 volts but the 115v motor would go between one hot leg and neutral.

A completely separate ground wire would go to the case and in the event a hot wire would touch the case, the breaker would trip.

Reply to
philo

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Why did you get shocked?