finding stuff in gmail

I'm trying to find old gmails, knowing the source name. All the help files, blogs etc. say: just type the name or text into the search box at the top of the gmail page. However, I don't have a search box on the gmail page at all and, having tried all the pull-down menus, still can't find one. Where am I going wrong?

Reply to
therustyone

It should be just below the

url box.

there's a little triangle in that box that can pull down a menu so you can be more spesific in your search (show search options)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Eh? Great big thing across the top, to the right of google logo, with a magnifying glass at the end ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't know, but if you use this link

you'll get a basic HMTL version of GMail in case your settings or your browser are being silly buggers.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On

Right, got it. I gave up using anything labelled Google long ago, as it usually searches the web, rather than what you're interested in. Wrong in this case!

Reply to
therustyone

Yep, found it. I didn't expect anything labelled Google to do anything useful. Why isn't it labelled gmail.

Reply to
therustyone

Who knows. You can use gmail via imap and do a local search, assuming it actually downloads all the folders of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On the HTML version I get two buttons: Search Mail, or Search Web.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog