Subject Author Posted Replies

The daughter's new house
Bit of a laugh really. It's only when your child buys a house that you realise how utterly crap most people's DIY is. And how poor a standard of workmanship they accept from other people. This is the...
36
36

Radiator panels: which one?
Radflek or What's the group's opinion re the better product? I had a quick Google, and short of the myriad products available, I worked forward from the Wiki at and decided to choose between the 2...
5
5

B&Q prices
Needed some M6 x 20 bolts + nuts & washers yesterday, under time pressure, nearest supplier B&Q. 20 of each, with 10% old farts discount, £12.38. 100 of each from Toolstation - £9.90. Unbelievable!
36
36

Spacing to allow for skirting board
I'm putting up an IKEA unit (well - that's sort of DIY init?0 The unit is along the lines of The bottom and the sides will be against the skirting board but the top (middle) 3 units mount on a rail...
17
17

Affixing a clockwork clock to a wall
Hello, I've inherited a clock; the type that's a wooden cabinet with a pendulum inside. It has a metal bracket on the top, with a hole in for fixing to the wall. I was wondering, is there a table...
2
2

central heating pipe and radiator sizing
Hello, Can anyone remind me where the I can find the table showing heat capacities for copper pipe, the one you use to check your pipe work can supply all of your radiators? To what extent do the...
6
6

daft question about earth sleeving
Hello, Just wondering why do most places sell 3mm earth sleeving when it is so much bigger than the conductor? I'm thinking that the brown sleeving that you use to mark the switched live at a light...
19
19

Cheap radio mike? (slightly OT)
I'm looking for a wireless unit with clip-on (not hand held) microphone to improve the audio on some home videos, not studio or broadcast quality. eBay and Amazon have stuff as cheap as £12 to £25,...
29
29

Squeaky bum time at Nat Grid
"Anyone of a nervous disposition should mark 11 January in their calendar as the moment to have torches, candles or paraffin lamps at the ready. That is the day when, according to National Grid?s...
7
7

OT Abigail
It'll be interesting to see what happens to wind turbines over the next 24 hours. Will they all shut down (Scottish ones probably will), or will enough turbines south of the border keep going like the...
18
18

Splitting ash logs
Splitting ash logs ... is it easiest to do when they're fresh cut; or after many months when they're dried out? [george]
6
6

APU's popping up at East Mids Hospitals - sign of power outs?
I notice a number of additional large Aux power units at East mids hospitals - just being careful perhaps, with Winter coming.
29
29

DECT phone
Only handy place for a phone in the workshop is mounted to the window frame behind the workbench. The existing DECT phone which was rather untidily mounted on a home made shelf has died - so it would...
9
9

Storeage Heater Recomends?
Following on from my post about element wierdness the heater is on it's last legs and at 1.5 kW can't keep up with the rooms heat loss. So has anyone got experience of more modern storeage heaters?...
8
8

Storage Heater Elements
This has got me flummoxed. 3kW nominal storage heater (Dimplex SC18, ancient). Only drawing 1.5 kW. Simples, thinks I, two elements one open circuit. Takes off covers with oven gloves. Examines...