Storage Heater Elements

This has got me flummoxed.

3kW nominal storage heater (Dimplex SC18, ancient). Only drawing 1.5 kW. Simples, thinks I, two elements one open circuit. Takes off covers with oven gloves. Examines connections nothing obvious, traces circuit POP:

Live in - input thermostat - resetable overheat stat - a strange loop of wire under the bi-metal strip that opens the damper (heater?) - non-resetable over heat stat - elements - neutral.

Resistance L-N 12 ohms. Resistance across element connections 32 ohms. eh? It's a series circuit.

Checks resistance across each section of wiring, stats etc all short circuit. Rechecks L-N and elements. 32 ohms 12 ohms, eh? That's the other way round. Disconnects elements, fits jumper across element terminals. L-N short circuit either way round with meter probes. Measures elements 32 ohms one way 12 the other. eh?

What failure mode of an element can produce that result?

I don't know how many elements there are but two wires disappear into the store from each terminal. I don't know if the elements are coily wire in the bricks or an enclosed type. This is an ancient heater so I'm not going to start taking it apart any further as it'll fall apart not to mention a pile of rather hot bricks to handle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice