Storeage Heater Recomends?

Following on from my post about element wierdness the heater is on it's last legs and at 1.5 kW can't keep up with the rooms heat loss.

So has anyone got experience of more modern storeage heaters? Any to avoid, ones that actually live up to expectantion derived from marketing puff.

I think there are ones that have far better heat release control, ie time switch on the damper so it keeps more heat in during the day and/or ones with a fan to extract heat quicker or as normal fan heater.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

fan assisted storage heaters

Also available from TLC but their website doesn't play nice with Opera these days.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Use a heat pump. A 3kW one is only about £300.

Reply to
dennis

Intresting, alternatives considered to NS heaters but there isn't a lot of space, no chimney.

Heat pump first thing is probably noise followed rapidly with no where to put it. Only outside wall of this romm is about 10' with a

3' wide opening leaving one blank bit of wall about 3' wide. Other side has a roof beam coming down to about 6'6" and an fridge freezer of similar height in the corner.

The other snag is it would be running on peak rate lecky @

12.743p/kWHr against off peak of 5.073. The current storage heaters get through 12,250 kWHr/year... Middle of winter and windy total consumption will be 70 ish kWhr/day.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's OK the meaco site doesn't play with Mozzila 1.7.12. B-)

WTF do web designers break the most fundemental part of the web, ie links to other pages? This one uses CSS to define a button then uses "onclick" to change pages, no href ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The internal units come in several styles to fit at floor level, on the wall or in the ceiling. They are actually very quiet (well mine is) unless you turn the speed up.

With the prices you indicate a heat pump will pay for itself in a few years.

If I run mine on full its ~1.6 kW in and ~5 kW out so your peak rate would have to be 15.8 p saving you ~3 p /kWhr or about £373 per year.

The actual saving is likely to be more as you wouldn't waste energy when the weather changed.

PS. you may get a cheaper tariff without the economy 7 and save more.

Reply to
dennis

And it would only run when required rather than lag 24 hours behind. How does the evaporator cope with 100% humidity and air temp of 0 to

5 C? Does it ice up? Auto defrost knocks back the COP... Those weather conditions are common up here.

That opens a whole different can of worms. Already have two other standard supplies one at 16.08p/kWHr the other at 9.45. Both are the cheapest overall option for each supply. The E7 is also the cheapest overall I could find as well.

Scrapping the E7 and just having one supply could be beneficial but would require the installation of a complete new heating system for that part of the building.

Do air source heat pump evaporators work when buried in snow?

Ground source would have fun negociating the bed rock that is only just below the surface, could use bore holes I guess.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mines not iced up yet. I would think that modern unit have a water repellent coating so any condensation runs of pretty quickly. That would make them more efficient as the latent heat means you need less air going through the system to supply the heat.

Put a cover over them or get a shovel if its really bad.

You can get a FITs payment of about 19p/KWHr or seven years for a heat pump if you don't have mains gas. But don't tell.

Reply to
dennis

But do you work it hard with air temps just above freezing?

That would make sense, so probably doesn't happen. B-)

We do get snow, see above. It's also powder snow and gets in through the tiniest of holes any cover would have to be sealed (no air ciculation) or have some devious method of seperating the snow from the air as it entered the cover.

A shovel? One does design a system that involves having to go outside when it's -5 C, blowing a gale - windchill below -20 C, and snowing. Even powder snow Fing hurts when thrown at you by a 30 - 40 mph sustained wind.

Out in the open the whole evaporator would get packed with snow driven by that gale force wind...

Not FITs (Feed In Tarrif, no "feed in", money from a levy on electricity bills) but RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive, money from central Government).

You do have to jump through a number of hoops though, installation needs to be MCS approved (fairy nuff, reasonable standard of kit etc), the property needs an EPC with a good score and a Green Deal Asessment. We don't have an EPC or Green Deal Assesment.

At least that's what you needed for Solar Thermal as I was hoping to get that but the barstewards changed the rules and disallowed hybrid (thermal store) systems that we have. To get RHI on Solar Thermal it has to be hot water only.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice