B&Q prices

Needed some M6 x 20 bolts + nuts & washers yesterday, under time pressure, nearest supplier B&Q.

20 of each, with 10% old farts discount, £12.38.

100 of each from Toolstation - £9.90.

Unbelievable!

Reply to
David Lang

In message , David Lang writes

Not really, it's an different business model, aimed at different customers

Reply to
Chris French

David Lang scribbled

But...

You didn't balk at passing the cost onto the customer, eh?

Reply to
Jonno

In message , Chris French writes

And I've also found things cheaper in B&Q than is TS/SF, though that's not so often

Reply to
Chris French

Yes. At B&Q you have to wander round the store looking for stuff which may or may not be in stock. And then take it to the checkout.

At Toolstation, an assistant gets it all for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would I? I gave him the receipt, he gave me the cash.

He wanted the item assembled before the weekend.

Reply to
David Lang

But at B&Q you can examine the item before you commit yourself to buying it, and can decide against if you have any doubts about the build quality, surface finish, etc. At Toolstation and other catalogue stores you don't have that option. Some of their stuff I find is fine, once or twice I've had to make a second journey to take something back if it doesn't fit or fails when I try to use it. They do always agree to replace or refund, which is good. But you have to factor that into your costs.

All the same, the price difference is sometimes astonishing. It must be that most people don't take the time to compare them.

Reply to
Clive Page

I've found the TS/SF staff don't mind showing you one particular item, or allowing you to compare two items before purchase. Same at Argos if you're buying an item excluded from their 30 day return policy.

On the other hand you soon get "tutting" if someone causes a queue because they're standing at the counter, while trying to describe items over the phone to someone back at the house while they're trying to describe what's needed ... in that case just let the wife* buy several items and return the unsuitable one(s) later.

*it's usually that way round.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Right. So you're the one who opens all the packaging there? And 'loses' some of the bits? ;-)

If you can't examine before buying, do so immediately afterwards while still at the store. Saves a trip back. Although I doubt you'd see any difference in quality between nuts and bolts from TS or B&Q.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

While that always used to be the case, that's no longer so; in my experience anyway.

In the old days it used to be a case of print out a list at home, go to the store, (5 mins away in my case) queue for 3 minutes or so and get served.

Now if you go at the wrong time you've got numpties leant over the counters thumbing through the catalogue with members of staff who then go and get stuff out of the shelves for them to check over, and maybe change their mind.

My local Toolstation has a high staff turnover which might not help matters either, as neither the assistant or the customer might have much of a clue as to how its supposed to work. Despite any training they're supposed to be given.

michael adams

michael adams

Only to someone like you with no experience of running a retail business.

Reply to
Mark

I think that's why they opened the Plumbfix etc counters - leave the front desk to Joe Soap. I was leaning on the counter the other week and the girl said "You're always in here, why don't you go round the back?"

Mind you, I enjoy confusing them with buying different stuff every time I go in. Best was buying some rubber-ended doorstops, some rising butt hinges and a magnetic door stop:

"Fitting a door today then?" says she.

"Nope," says I truthfully. "I'm installing a swing out projector screen."

Reply to
Scott M

+1

AND, when they have finished they will get in their white vans with their trade highlighted on the side. It's almost as though some of these professionals have never bought the type of product before.

Anther place this seems to happen a lot is in the local TLC counter

My local Toolstatan seem to have the same staff every time I use it. Although the pleasantries are very much the of 'have a nice day' kind the staff at Toolstatan are much more customer service orientated unlike the local Screwfix which seems to more of "I'm doing you a favour by serving you."

Reply to
alan_m

I've noticed that.

SF - order taken. Wait 5 minutes while random chatter/chuckles eminate from the store room. Order appears.

TS - All done in a minute or two.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The staff at my local Toolstation seem to be changing every time I go in there. Not sure why. As I said I only live 5 mins away so I check the stock and print out the order at home, copying and pasting the relevant details.

Despite having explained this the last time I went in, the assistant still couldn't work out why I hadn't chosen "click and collect" - "It can be ready within an hour you know "...."er...

The fact that I print them out in fancy colours might not help either. To save on the black cartridge I might print the postcode, name, and stock numbers in bright red and the rest in green. Or in blue and brown.

michael adams

michael adams

Not at all, you can ask to look at anything in TS or SF. Not that you need to look at nuts & bolts anyway.

If anything TS quality is better than B&Q on screws etc.

Reply to
David Lang

Reply to
David Lang

In message , michael adams writes

Do you know about the trolley quick codes?

Put stuff in the website shopping trolley. Scroll to the bottom of the trolley webpage, click the quick code button.

copy down (or if you are me, take a photo with your phone) the code.

Give it to them in TS and they can recall your trolley, saves typing in your order again.

Reply to
Chris French

Both seem to be equally good in our local ones.

Though I tend to shop in them differently, SF I generally click and collect - as often do it at the last minute before leaving home, or know I will be passing the next day or whatever. I don't normally have to wait long to get served and pick it up.

TS, cos they only advertise 1 hr turnaround, might not be ready, so I take in a quickcode, but they often only have a couple of staff, and as they take your order and hen go and get it, you might need to wait a little while if there are a couple of people in front of you.

Reply to
Chris French

So instead of copying and pasting and printing out all the different items I can just print the one quick code number. They type that into the terminal and that brings up the order on their screen So should save even more on ink. Cheers, I'll give that a go next time.

michael adams

michael adams