Prices at Focus compared to B&Q

I reckon the prices at B&Q are generally higher than at Focus. I don't shop for DIY often so I can't tell how big the difference is.

Very approximately, how much more would I pay at my huge local B&Q than at my much-smaller Focus?

Maybe there has been a price survey of DIY stores in a magazine.

I don't mind travelling to Focus to see if they have an item in stock if the saving over B&Q's price makes it worth it.

Thank you for any info.

Reply to
Andy

What neck of the country are you in?

I've found Focus very dear,but cannot make a comparison with B&Q because I've never stepped foot in a B&Q shed. Mainly because I have a large local DIY handyman shop a stones throw away and if that was not there then a shed called taskers DIY is by far cheaper than Focus,Rapid hardware,Jems DIY,Wickes...and two others by me. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Focus has surly and rude teenagers as staff.

With that, I don't care if they are cheaper, which they aren't anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It will depend on what you're buying. They all vary. They tend to advertise 'key' items and you compare with those while forgetting all the little bits you might buy at the same time. And those add up...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have always found focus very expensive. The same goes for homebase. BandQ are quite cheap for most things and if you wait long enough they tend to have a 'special' on each product area throughout the year. I have also found their bargain bin a lot better. They do employ a minimum stock system though, so you can end up being short a few times. I have also found that a lot of their own brand is not very robust, but I guess this is reflected in the price.

We do have a 'No Frills DIY' near us which tends to be very cheap, and the quality is okay but beware of their own brand. It will fall apart in the boot on the way home.

Wickes tends to be cheaper than the other sheds for building materials like wood but does not compare to wood yards unless they have a special on. I don't know how anyone else feels but I often leave Wickes empty handed as they don't quite have what I want.. However if you are attempting a large project you are best going to the builders merchants(James Burrel, Jewson etc), who in recent years have upped their customer service training but it can be hit or miss depending on branches.

I did find the pump centers very helpful and the cheapest around, never visited the sister shops (build etc..) Though I do wish they would pay attention to their spelling (I should not shout, hiding behind his spell check).

I don't know if this is just me but my BandQ has started charging for bags,

5p, claiming it is for charity. I guess it is not free to make a bag, but I feel a little forced into making a contribution in this manner. ---Discuss---.

G.

--Save your 2ps worth and buy a bag from BandQ.

Reply to
G Cadman

Eco's paintstripper is (IIRC) £8.49/500ml at B&Q, or £8.99/500ml at Focus... but Focus also do a 2.5l bucket for £19. So are the prices at B&Q generally higher or not - dunno.

Reply to
S Almond

Apart from large ticket items like bathroom suites, Focus are painfully expensive. They only supply hardware items in tiny packets for gut wrenching prices. You're lucky if they stock the screw you need in packets larger than

10 for 1.99, whilst B&Q might sell you a thousand for 4.99.

I once made a comparison of a simple 15mm isolator valve. It came in something like a fiver, with B&Q something like 1.50 and toolstation at around 40p. I can't remember the exact figures, but they aren't far off.

Generally speaking, for hardware, plumbing and electrical supplies, Focus gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thnaks to all who replied to my post above.

Seems it shows that I don't shop for DI often as Focus are not chaeper than B&Q which is what I thought.

I go shopping at B&Q then.

Although not for things like the 15m telephone extensiom cable whioch I saw at B&Q a few days ago for £10.98. My local 99p shop does one of these for, er, 99p.

Maybe the quality is not the same but they are not that far apart and to look at the branding and packaging I would have said there seems to be little in it.

Reply to
Andy

I'd guess they made a mistake with the pricing on that one. They often do. Check at the till.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Forget the 99p cable, after a while the thing causes a no dial tone symptom.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I buy all my leads for everything from the Pound Shop. Never had any problems.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Use

they always cheaper. Well, for me they have been.

:-)

Reply to
Vodkajelly