Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

Hello,

Whilst in the states, I've visited a few Home Depot stores, and their layout & catalogue design seems remarkably similar to that of B&Qs.

One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough - is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style that they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

No they are not, but it's no coincidence.

B&Q undoubtedly "borrowed" the complete concept, layout, merchandising (even the tool coraal) and the colours from HD.

Perhaps they are hoping to be acquired at some point......

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q could be similarly described because of theirs.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition. The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at least round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much mark up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They even called some of their larger stores 'The Depot' but for some reason changed them. Don't think there's actually a tie up - just a rip off of design. Pity their prices weren't ripped off too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

competition.

And that's my local DIY store. They never, ever have what I'm looking for. But the pet corner keep the kids happy.

Reply to
Graeme

That's the one. I sometimes feel I should go there with a pack of bic razors and hand them out.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, I sometimes have to go there because I can't brave the B&Q car park and only want one item. What a nightmare design, attempting to get all those cars through that tiny junction and forcing you to go all the way round the big roundabout to turn right when leaving. They could solve it all by having a second entrance at the Comet end onto the road that leads to Costco.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Now that would be a good idea. And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

Reply to
Graeme

Oddly, I find it easier when they are playing. Just turn up at 15:10 and the queues (both traffic and tills) are much shorter.

I'd pop it if it is in an inconvenient location, then use antiseptic immediately to prevent infection.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But they still use the B&Q car park, even though it is strictly not allowed!

Reply to
Graeme

There are always a good number of attendants at the B&Q car park looking for suspicious vehicles and football shirted passengers. Even if a few slip through with unlikely stories, there's certainly plenty of parking left.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Graeme writes

leave it alone - less likely to get infected - the protective cushion of interstitial fluid will be reabsorbed in a few days

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Wickes is geared to the trade and the prices much keener all around. B&Q Warehouse is a direct competitor to Wickes. Focus and Wickes are in the same group, yet they stock is very different and so are the prices, although Focus do have some items that are keenly priced. I find Homebase far cheaper than B&Q on LV lamps and the likes.

Reply to
IMM

Jim Hodkinson an ex B&Q MD did leave them & go to Home Depot, but only for a few months.

He then came back to UK and the Warehouse concept at B&Q soon appeared.

Home Depot have been stalking B&Q for some time but weak $ at moment has kept them at bay.

Reply to
Gel

Yes. The managements get together and discuss possible joint approaches to products, marketing and store layouts. They have quite a lot of activities in common and it is expected that Home Depot will buy B & Q (Kingfisher) when the time is right. I also believe that they have similar stock control etc software systems. At the moment, the exchange rate is wrong. You can expect to see more jointly sourced products because the buying power increases with the increased volume. B & Q are very cautious over introducing US or EU products into the UK stores, but I'd expect this to happen more and more over the next couple of years. There is still a marked gap between what the top managers are thinking and what the buyers are actually doing, as can be seen by comparing the websites for Castorama and B & Q.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In article , Dave Plowman writes

There are notices up in our B&Q saying you can't take back things you bought in the Depot, so I assumed they were separate trading entities?

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote: B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

Reply to
sickdog

They share the same colour...

Reply to
Davey

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

It's a pity Flash Newsgroups doesn't do likewise.

Reply to
Graham.