Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here. They sold the business for, I think, £1

Reply to
charles

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my 'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things whereas I find B & Q a bit tacky...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Homebase have closed around my way but when Bunnings were running it they did have the BBQ on sale mid winter (Austrialian summer) and just before it closed it must have had the world's total stock of Christmas tat in January. Bunnings didn't really understand the UK market and possibly what a poor reputation that Homebase had as a DIY shed based business. About 2 minutes walk from where I used to work was a large Homebase and during a lunch break I would take a walk to see what they had. In nearly 100% of cases I would walk out and visit another rival shed on the way home to purchase the same, or similar, items 30 to 50% cheaper.

Even with their massive closing down sale discounts they were struggling to match B&Q prices.

Reply to
alan_m

Sadly my nearest branch closed - rent review, the next nearest is tacky.

Reply to
charles

There were two big DIY stores handy to here at Wandsworth Bridge - both with decent car parks too. Homebase and B&Q. Both now rubble, waiting to be developed as even more 'luxury' apartments.

So now limited to Wickes, Toolstation and Screwfix. Or travel rather further.

Did try an online purchase from B&Q. Won't make that mistake again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Remeber them from when I was "doing up" my daughter's flat in Wandsworth. Gosh - 20 years ago.

Reply to
charles

The B&Q - when it opened - was heralded as their flagship, and called a Home Depot. How things have changed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well its a business model, but I doubt they are all linked unless there is a parent company who owns them. Hard to find out and probably of little use knowing the info anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

B&Q existed for years before homedepot.

Can anyone beat 16 years to a reply?

Reply to
ARW

Homeownershub are now dragging up posts from 17 years ago.

Reply to
alan_m

A bit like the Dave Channel of Usenet, all the quality programmes you vaguely remember watching all those years ago, in some cases with rpesenters who are no longer with us.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Let me get back to you on that one... ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

B&Q being a decade older than Home Depot, its more like HD "borrowed". However, there was a temporary merger between Home Depot and B&Q between 1999 and 2005, which only didn't get finalized because B&Q was too big for HD to buy (B&Q being only a small part of the Kingfisher Group). During this period, and up to around 2015, DIY.com took you to either Home Depot or B&Q based on your geographical location.

Reply to
PGTipz

Before replying to a 17 year old post again, please read this first:

Fredxx

dodge city

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

HD was founded in 1978 & B&Q was founded in 1969 so if anyone stole the colour, it was HD....

Reply to
Scorpio92

Does anyone care, I mean Asda and Wal-Mart are the same company but who cares? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

focus used to be called do it all

Reply to
robpleavin

Before replying to an 17 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Otherwise you will be considered a right plonker by everyone reading your reply.

Reply to
Fredxx