Subject Author Posted Replies

Music streaming from TV etc
Ok, not exactly diy in the sense of repairing or building something, but setting wifi up at home. I am fairly IT techie, but this subject is a bit OTT for me. I know what I want, but not sure about...
38
38

Public Liability Insurance for working on our ex-council house
Hi all - we are replacing the kitchen in our house ourselves. My wife has been doing some training and apart from using an electrician for the wiring, we intend to do it all ourselves. It's pretty...
18
18

Replacing switch on Zanussi/Electrolux upright vacuum
Hi, The switch is broken on a ZAN4719/4720 (I think this model is sold under ma ny brands). The cleaner is fairly light in weight and doesn't have any grea t "lifting" to do, so I would like to keep...

Testing a 12v battery
Is there a reliable, easy way, of testing whether a 12 v battery is up to snuff ? We had a new one that went dead in less than a year of little use. The supplier is re-charging it and promises to test...
11
11

Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. Has anyone serviced one?
Thanks for the informative reply. You gave some useful info that hadn't occ urred to me concerning cylinder pressure affecting things. As a fellow ex-t inkerer and owner of several British twins (1953...
39
39

OT "Standing in a queue"
Another government fit up. Spoken to several Americans. The word "queue" is virtually unknown in the USA. And of course Obama had nearly a billion dollars from Wall Street for his election campaign....
114
114

OT Video building the dreamliner.
British Airways has welcomed the arrival of our first 787-9 Dreamliner. This time-lapse video takes you behind the scenes at Boeing's factory where the aircraft is expertly built. The 787-9 is 20ft...
3
3

? re external painting and wood rot
History: Bought house 5 years ago external paintwork in poor condition, flaking etc. Checked for any rot and only one small area. This was at a mitre joint the piece of wood that sits on the concrete...
3
3

OT: New roofbox for the car
Before xmas I wrecked the old roofbox (not locked, strong sidewind = lots of noise and broken box with the lid almost ripped off). Need to get another one though. Any recommendations (or otherwise)...

Cooling a satellite decoder or similar
In fact, and a sewing machine should do nicely. Cheers Dave R
9
9

Headlamp Lens (plastic fogging)
I have read of ways of polishing headlamp lenses that have become a bit frosted, but is there a way of reducing the risk? Does polish help - or could the solvents in a polish make it more likely to...
8
8

Particles in mains water supply
I get particles in my water supply. They are orange or black generally. The y do not appear to be affected by a magnet. We are filtering our drinking w ater until we can sort it out and using bottled...
17
17

Murphy's 43rd law
If you're carrying a large sheet of wood etc from A to B, you will always find yourself on the wrong side of it when you want to prop it against a wall.
7
7

EON EnviR electricity monitor software
Back in the day I was sent an energy monitor by EON - Model EnviR from Current Cost Ltd. Due to some kind of filing error I can't currently (oops!) find the original software, although I do have a W7...
6
6

Shower pump - appears to have air ingress
I fitted a Showermate Standard Twin to replace an old pump that had failed. The new pump had been purchased some five years earlier and not used. The pump sits at the end of the bath on the floor and...
26
26