Public Liability Insurance for working on our ex-council house

Hi all - we are replacing the kitchen in our house ourselves. My wife has been doing some training and apart from using an electrician for the wiring, we intend to do it all ourselves. It's pretty much just new for old in the same layout.

The house is ex-council which means it's still council freehold/our leasehold. I spoke to them about the work and they said we need Public Liability Insurance. I've had a look around but it all seems to be for businesses/self-employed. Is there a way to get this insurance as a private individual?

Full council text - I spoke to the council about it and they seem happy for us to do the work as long as we have the paperwork:

Although you are replacing you kitchen like for like, the Council have a duty to oversee any alteration, structural or non structural, to ensure the work is carried out to a satisfactory standard. The Council are responsible for safeguarding the building to ensure the safety of all residents. Therefore, in order for me to consider your request further, please provide the following: A specification of the proposed works including the material, design and details of the contractor you propose to carry out this work A method statement setting out how the contractors propose to carry out the works (i.e. times of work/ access requirements/ disposal of rubbish, etc.) A copy of the builders Public Liability Insurance (min. £5,000,000)

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Simon Reveley

In article , Simon Reveley writes

It is the builders PLI they are asking for not yours, so ask him for a copy. You will be provided with PLI under your household insurance.

Reply to
bert

What builder? That's the point; they don't have a builder.

The OP could try sending in the household insurance, and see if the council is happy with that.

To the OP: You say you are pretty much doing "like for like". The council has said they don't care in that case.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

replying to bert, Simon Reveley wrote: That's just the point - there is no builder, just us.

Reply to
Simon Reveley

replying to Martin Bonner, Simon Reveley wrote: Sadly it's the council who has the home insurance - we only have our own contents insurance, because the council is the freeholder of the block. As part of our contents insurance we have "personal liability and your liability as occupier of your home" but I assume that's different?

Reply to
Simon Reveley

The mistake was telling the bloody council in the first place.

Reply to
David Lang

But there *is* an electrician, which is probably what Bert meant to say.

Reply to
newshound

I rather tend to agree!

Reply to
newshound

Indeed. However given the starting point now, a quick chat with an insurance broker would probably sort something out. PLI is pretty cheap.

Reply to
John Rumm

Your first mistake was telling the council.

Reply to
fred

I'm not at all sure that it is different. Give a copy to the council bod and let him work it out. However, the chances are that it is limited to less than £5m.

Reply to
GB

Hmm, I do recall that some time ago, I had public liability insurance added to my house insurance so I was covered up to a couple of million for anyone working in my property. I need cleaners, PA and Gardeners etc, It might be worth asking the company you cover the house with about how much it costs if it was to cover yourselves not just external persons coming in. In my view everyone needs this sort of insurance as otherwise in a wind somebody like the postman being hit on the head by a brick or tv aerial, could sue the pants off you. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As said up-thread, the buildings insurance would usually cover any liability to the postman.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I pay £11 a month for £2 million quids worth.

Reply to
David Lang

Well, maybe? but if you don't have insurance the ambulance chasers will have to do some work rather than tickle the insurance company and have them role over. If you havn't got insurance you may not be worth chasing.

Reply to
DJC

Ask your insurer for clarification - they are the only ones whose opinion matters.

Reply to
bert

In article , Brian Gaff writes

IME public liability is always part of house building insurance BICBW

Reply to
bert

Don't you believe it. The Communications Workers Union will be after you whatever.

Reply to
bert

If you are in an appartment block, you are often not permitted to have buildings insurance, because the management company or freeholder will have it, and there mustn't be more than one policy covering the same thing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel