Mini excavator driver - public liability insurance advice

I have been operating small plant for at least the last 10 years in some way or the other and a few years ago went to the trouble of getting a proper license for operating 360 excavators of any weight. All the work so far has been for friends and family, but I have recently decided to start making some more money out of it on a more-frequent, but still part-time basis. In order to keep overheads to a minimum I am planning to hire various types of plant if and when I need it.

For all the work I have done to date I have, rightly or wrongly, never taken out insurance of any kind, but now that I making a more serious go of it I want to cover my ass for all sensible eventualities.

Public liability insurance was the first one that sprang to mind, but for the insuring specifically for "operation of self propelled plant under hire" has proved difficult to find.

Has anyone got some good sources and/or are there any types of insurance I should be considering?

Any advice would be welcome.

Reply to
Dug

Does the hire company offer anything?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You need to look at which rules the hirer uses for its contracts, CPHA (I think) place most of the burden on the hirer, "hired in Plant" insurance can be expensive, similarly public liability insurance goes up if you have ground engaging equipment or working at height (that's above 2m I think) equipment.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Nope. see reply to AJH below.

Reply to
Dug

Nope. see reply to AJH below.

Reply to
Dug

Round my way the hire compaines want to see your own insurance cert, or insist on theirs.

It must be possible, as the local guys neer me (20 or so people) hire in machines when theirs are down, or the wrong type for a job, which they then hire out as operated plant. Some of the jobs they do are for the NT, and the National Park, who are obcessed with saftey and insurance.

Is there a National Association of Plant Operators who may help, the people that you took your qualifatcions with ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

"Round my way the hire compaines want to see your own insurance cert, or insist on theirs."

I have never found that the companies near me request insurance at all. They will merrily hire out plant and the onus is on you to sort that out! Its a scary proposition really, as there must be lots of people in a similar position that make "expensive" mistakes, only to then realise its there wallet that then has to take the full brunt of the damage costs.

The point about the plant training site that I got my CITB license is a good one and worth a try.

Reply to
Dug

Try

for contractor public liability insurance uk

Reply to
R obbo