Low height wardrobe/hanging space?

I can't find a wardrobe/hanging space that is just less than head height - can anyone suggest a stockist, supplier or manufacturer I can try?

A lot of wardrobes are around 74" high, I just want hanging space - I don't want a shelf at the top or drawers at the bottom - frankly anything around the height of a 4 drawer filing cabinet would suit the bedroom (a dorma style property - I have the height for a full size wardrobe but I simply don't think anything that is 74"+ will look right in the room - I want something that is below head height - purely my preference.)

I'll continue searching the millions of bedroom furniture sites but I'm not having any luck finding anything better than a 54" tallboy that has hanging space on one side and drawers on the other. In my room I plan to put the stand-alone drawer units in other locations - I have lots of options in terms of suitable drawer units but I need to solve the hanging space problem first.

I'm cosidering designing something and farming it out to someone to make or building something myself based around a sturdy shop style clothes rail (Ikea had some I think).

Also - where can you buy roller shutters - not the type used for loading bays but the type often found in kitchens in front of bookcase style shelving?

cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve Roach

Have you looked at wardrobes designed for children? I bought one about 5ft high just with a removable hanging rail. It was used as a broom/hoover cupboard but is now in pieces stored under the spare bed. It originally came from Argos about 5 yrs ago. Perfectly adequate for this use, as I'm sure it would as a wardrobe and looked fine. Pine, but not the vile orange pine, it had some sort of finish (patinised or something??) but could be painted. Might be worth looking at this sort of thing.

Liz

Reply to
EN

I was going to say tallboy, but I guess that's not what you want. How about gettting a cabinet of any kind and just adding a rail? Its easy enough if you find the carcass of your desired size.

Cutting down a ready made wardrobe may work out cheaper than building from scratch.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, I have had a look at a couple of childrens wardrobes (they are round about the right height) but their build quality has been less than sturdy - I'm now looking at some Tambour units (sideways roller shutter door) from an office furniture supplier

- they are 60cm deep x 120cm wide x 160cm high and they can supply a wooden top to make it look (a little) less like office furniture but they look fairly solid. Still waiting on a price from them. I'll have to remove the shelves and put a suitable hanging rail in myself.

I'm still surprised I can't find someone who supplies something smaller or has a flexible wardrobe system that can be supplied at a lower than usual height.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Roach

Actually these are the 60cm deep units I'm looking at (for anyone else looking for something similar!)

Steve Roach

Why not just get a length of chrome tube and mounting sockets from somewhere like Wickes? Cut the sides and top from 19mm MDF painted the same colour as the walls, and fit whatever you fancy for doors - wooden louvres, curtains ...

Reply to
Rob Morley