Music streaming from TV etc

Ok, not exactly diy in the sense of repairing or building something, but setting wifi up at home.

I am fairly IT techie, but this subject is a bit OTT for me. I know what I want, but not sure about what is needed.

I have a samsung TV, connected to a Pioneer amplifier, and from that a pair of speakers which the sound from both tv and cd player is output to.

I would like a wireless speaker , not bluetooth, to play music from either tv or amplifier. I've looked at wifi dongles for my tv and other similar devices, but not sure if what I buy would do the job.

Reply to
BobH

There are quite a few WiFi enabled speakers about... have a look at the Sonos range for example.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes but I'm not sure they will work for this application. I think the problem will be that TV (presumably that has the USB port for the dongle) won't have any means of streaming live audio out over the WiFi or serving files. TV's tend to be "clients" not "servers".

But again why wireless for the audio link? Any speaker worth its salt is going to need a decent bit of power and there is the WiFi Rx etc so that implies a cable. Unless you really want to get into changing batteries.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't mind if it is a mains electric powered speaker as long as it plays the music. I have tried one or two different supposebly wireless speakers, but when I play the music, which is on the tv from my nas drive, the sound only comes out of the wired attached speakers.

Reply to
BobH

You need a wireless transmitter to plug into the audio out where you normally plug wires.

Then either a matching wireless receiver or a wireless enabled speaker.

That is, nothing clever, just replacing a run of wire with a wireless transmitter and receiver.

I assume at the moment you feed the output from both the TV and CD player into the amp, and then have wires between the amp and the speaker.

So you seem to need some kind of wireless speaker extender between your amp and the speakers.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Indeed - it does depend a bit on your source of music. If its coming off a home server / nas / dlna box etc, then the speakers will may be able to get it directly.

And in these days of homeplug ethernet adaptors, one could argue that if you have mains, you by default have (wired) network.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, forgot the link in my previous post:

(that allows normal line level sources to feed into the wireless distribution system)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well generally there is a setup in the telly that says 'don't send the sound to the internal speakers, send it to the phono sockets on the back instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And only out by 3-6 seconds

I am trying to work out who is the most ignorant - you or the OP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What sort of wireless speakers, most are Bluetooth, there are a some that use wifi. But you TV is unlikely to have a wireless audio output other than Bluetooth, even that doesn't seem that common.

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming this speaker is maybe in another room? hence the requirement for not bluetooth as the range isn't very good. and not wanting to use a cable?

There are wireless audio sender and receivers, plug one into the amplifier and one into an active speaker (powered, with built in amplifier) of some sort. There is no standard for this sort of thing, they are proprietary. I'm not sure though of what range they have.

Reply to
Chris French

Chromecast Audio, 30 quid from Wurrys or bit less on the `bay.

Need one per audio zone, zones can be grouped, uses your phone or tablet as remote use an app like Bubble to stream from your NAS.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I have one, I like it.

Not going to send audio from a TV to anything though, is it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You'll be very lucky to find a TV with phono sockets to feed an external amp these days. And on all of those that were available, they were always 'live'. Only the set speakers could be killed. No earthly reason to do it differently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the lack on any ADC on Chromecast is a pest and leaves Sonos a massive cost premium for the privilige but its an adequate solution if the TV is sourcing its input from a networked source as well.

Recentish LG has L/R audio available from phono on rear.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I don't know why the bluetooth hate. With Apt-X it's decent quality audio, and free from molesting the hell out of the 2.4GHz spectrum and crapping all over your WiFi like lots of analogue senders do.

I use a transmitter in the headphone jack of my TV, but into any audio out on the source side would work, headphones on amp, line out, whatever. This transmitter is an Apt-X bluetooth sender.

On the receiving end, I use an Apt-X enabled bluetooth receiver, with its output plugged into the powered speaker at the remote end (actually in my case its another amp and speakers, but standalone powered speaker would work also).

Works well, sounds good.

Reply to
HarpingOn

Compared to you, neither apparently.

If the OP already has the source material available on some form of central storage, then many of the digital streaming / distribution systems will be able to stream directly from it.

Reply to
John Rumm

What it is that you are actually trying to do?

Do you really need the TVs audio in a remote location, or is just a case that you want to stream stuff elsewhere, and thought the TV might be a good starting point since it can already do it?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes that is exactly the thing I need then.

Reply to
BobH

I wish that were the case on my Samsung tv, but I'll have another look. I tried that with a wireless speaker I had as in selecting the sound output but the speaker wasn't listed.

Reply to
BobH

I tried a Azotom A2 or something which was wireless but wouldn't play from the TV or TV box. Next was a Sony ALL3, again wireless but same result.

Yes I want a wireless speaker so that it can be in another room. What wireless transmitter would you suggest for a samsung tv. I have looked at transmitter for a samsung tv and they are not cheap.

Reply to
BobH