(Q) Speakers for TV

I want to attach external speakers to my Sony TV. Will computer speakers do? Must the speakers have the correct impedance?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The speakers must have the right impedance *and* other characteristics. Whether computer speakers will do depends on the what sort of output the TV has got.

Computer speakers have their own built-in amplifiers - and need to be connected to a low level (un-amplified) line output. If you are connecting to an amplified output intended for low-impedance passive speakers, computer speakers definitely won't do.

Reply to
Set Square

You can connect 8ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amplifier but you can't do it the other way around.(unless you connect them in series)

Be very carefull in connecting high output speakes to a small output amp, when an amp is under strain it "Clips" and sends neat voltage through to the speaker hence it is possable to blow a 100watt speaker with a 10 amp amplifier!

My TV is connected directly to decent speakers, I literally cut the wires to the tele's own speakers and connected them directly to the new hifi type speakes, the sound quality was massively improved!

good luck

Reply to
Stuart

Be aware that TVs aren't earthed, I *think* the old live chassis has gone by the board now but there is still potential for things to have rather more volts on them than you expect...

Probably not and ideally.

Has your TV got any external loudspeaker connections or line level outputs already?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some computer speakers do allow one to work in this way by leaving the on-off switch to off. I assume this is done with a relay. Check the instructions.

Reply to
G&M

Timothy Murphy presented the following explanation :

For best match they do need to have the correct impedence to match the output circuitry, but a higher impedence than specified will do no harm to the TV.

Most computer speakers are of rather poor quality and some include a built in amplifier.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

First, has it got sockets marked 'external speakers' for the purpose?

Most computer speakers have a purpose made amp associated with them, so would best be used with this off the SCART socket or phonos, if it has them.

In general, you're unlikely to find speakers of unsuitable impedance these days. Provided their nominal impedance is the same or higher than that stated on the set you're ok.

You also have to be careful about siting some speakers close to the tube - they can effect the colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I thought it had - but now I look into the matter I find the only output seems to be through one of the two Scart connectors. I saw in the manual it mentioned 2x10W sound output, which I foolishly took to refer to external speakers, but I see now that it refers to the internal speakers.

So I guess my dream of speakers in the corners of the room will have to be postponed till after the divorce.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Does one of your scart sockets output sound? If so, that might feed your computer speakers. Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

It does indeed.

But there is no hint how to connect speakers, or what kind of speakers (impedance?) one should use. It simply says: "Available output signals: audio/video from selected source".

Could I really connect speakers with just that info? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

This probably means that you have either SCART or possibly phono outputs at line level. Indeed, I'd be surprised if you anything else, few TVs come with a built in amplifier capable of driving external speakers.

You cannot simply connect up a pair of speakers to these outputs.

You will need an appropriate amplifier as well as the speakers or as has been mentioned speakers which have active amplification that accept line level input.

FWIW I connect my own TV to the A/V input connection on my stereo, using a 3 metre long pair of phono leads. If you alrady have a stereo you could do the same, if not then you need to buy either amplifier + speakers or active speakers or one of those 5.1 speaker kits that includes amplification.

Your choice.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Pretty well all SCARTS will output stereo sound and composite video - even an RGB input one. But this output may not follow what's on the TV screen - mine can be switched separately for dubbing purposes via the menu.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It won't drive speakers directly - it's a line level signal. It's designed for feeding an external amplifier or video recorder etc. But it would be ok with a set of computer speakers that have their own built in amp - as most do. However, most of these inexpensive PC speaker sets are of poor quality being more designed for impressive sounds on games etc than natural speech and decent music which is what most will need from a TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'm surprised you say this - all the reasonably recent sets I've seen have got external speaker sockets and at least 10 watt amps, which will be fine for moderate listening levels on most half decent speakers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman