Subject Author Posted Replies

Mains interference
I'm using Ethernet over power adaptors throughout the house for various appliances, including CCTV cameras. I have a CCTV camera in the garage, though the Ethernet over power adaptor keeps dropping...
27
27

Insertion Rating of standard mains sockets?
Hi All we have one mains outlet that is used for either toaster or the sandwich grill ;-/. Because of this the plug gets swapped out 1-2 times a day. Any thoughts about whether this might cause...
14
14

Help identify this screw
Had a new item arrive today .. including for fixing a pack of stainless Steel self tappers - but due to material backing they are passing 'through' they are not long enough ... need to obtain longer...
8
8

Cutting 12" Diam hole in blockwork wall
OK chaps - suggestions please. I need to cut a 12" diameter hole in a workshop wall construction of which is a single skin of 9" x 18" x 4.5" 7 newton concrete blocks. Now I've all sorts of drills,...
13
13

Quote for a new kitchen
Hello - "Our prices start at £6500." Click. http://www.mastercraftkitchens.co.uk/
8
8

G4 lamp connector?
HI Folks I've been asked to renovate a 'lily' lamp for a client (this kind of thing - It's from the USA, so everything is rated 120v / 2-core cable / no earths etc. The original filiament e12 lamp...
2
2

Auto dimmer for LEDs
Asking here in the hope someone has come across this and may have an answer. Car interior lights have an auto 'dimmer'. They do a graceful fade in and fade out when switched on and off. On a Merc....
74
74

Recommended LED "bulbs"
Just noticed that the dining room uplighters have incandescents in them, so what's a good brand/source of standard BC LED "bulbs"? Might as well seize the chance to replace any others at the same...
12
12

What I learned from my Dad
My Dad who is now 95 used to fix Spitfire engines after WWII as he was trai ned by RR. As a fireman in civvy street, he built me a 8.5?? reflector out of plywood that he made into a telescope, plus an...
12
12

Alarm to detect creeping
My dear Mum has dementia and has taken to creeping quietly around the house to covertly listen outside rooms to phone calls, Needless to say, she completely misunderstands what is said and gets...
27
27

Rubbish LED security lamps
I have four dotted around the house/garden and a total of seven have failed due to duff sensors or the LEDs. To save anyone from the same fate, these are the best. http://ebay.eu/2gj7uio
4
4

Mystery Aqualisa shower leak
Installed 1995 and OK until someone else used it! The thermostatic shower body outlet is plumbed in 22mm copper and now leaking at the seal. Bearing in mind this is the low pressure side, I expected...
6
6

uk.d-i-y Wiki
Is there a warning that DIY in the bathroom should always be done with the loo lid closed (especially when lots of tiny components are involved)? Is it in big block capitals? Wet-hand Sam
4
4

"Shotgun" satellite cable opinions.
Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one. Nice new high gain LNB as well. Currently I'm reusing the 20+ year old old cabling, but given I would really like to re-route it...
6
6

Welcome to the Capita Share Portal
Under "Do I need to know anything technical" We have designed the site to be best viewed in the following browsers: Internet Explorer versions 6 and 7, and Mozilla Firefox versions 1, 1.5 and 2 If you...