Insertion Rating of standard mains sockets?

Hi All we have one mains outlet that is used for either toaster or the sandwich grill ;-/. Because of this the plug gets swapped out 1-2 times a day. Any thoughts about whether this might cause trouble over time?
The socket is already a double outlet (actually one of those single-to- double adapters), and I haven't seen a triple adapter I would have in the house...
Thanks Jon N

All hanged himself, got too many questions...

If it does, no big deal to change the socket.

So change it for a decent triple/quad socket.
On 18/11/2016 08:29, jkn wrote:

It may. If you start to notice significant heating of the plug or socket then replace it.
There is no "standard" answer to your question that I am aware of - it will depend greatly on the actual make and model of socket in question. You may get a better answer by identifying the brand and contacting the manufacturer.

So why not install an additional double next to it? Its only a 15 minute job in most cases.
--
Cheers,

John.

15 mins to chase out the brickwork or plasterboard, drill mounting holes and/ir work out how to mount the socket backplate if the wall is an internal partition, unwire the old socket, connect a short spur to the new socket, rewire both. All that in 15 mins? You're a fast worker!
I could start using a 13 amp adapter in that time. On 18/11/2016 09:25, NY wrote:

What is the power consumption of the toaster and sandwich grill?
If the total is less 3kw I could start using a 13 amp adapter in that time.
--
Michael Chare

On 18/11/2016 09:25, NY wrote:

If its a plasterboard stud wall I can do it in 10 ;-)
(5 to 10 mins work with a SDS to chop out a backbox recess in normal brick. More if its something really hard)
--
Cheers,

John.
Hi John
John Rumm wrote:

It's tiled, for starters. Just makes things a bit harder. And I don't like having outlets butted next to each other. If it got to having to replace the current socket I might bite the bullet and do something like that though. I see you can get 3-gang outlets, (don't think I found one last time I looked).
(to Michael Chare) I am not using one of those 3-way mains adapters regardless of the total power consumption. I am trying to keep this neat - one of the very few corners of the house...
Cheers Jon N
On 18/11/2016 21:34, jkn wrote:

Yup had that problem adding an extra one in my kitchen. I used a carbide segment saw in a multimaster to cut out the tile section[1]. Then went round the perimeter with a 20mm chisel in the SDS - marked the chisel with tape to indicate depth stop. Once I had the perimeter to depth, took out the middle with a 40mm chisel. I usually chisel from the centre out to the edges, and then come back and take the centre out once down to depth on the edges.

Space the second one about an inch to inch and a half away and then it does not look to "jambed in", but you can still drill through the dividing bit at an angle with a long drill bit to get your cable(s) in.

I *think* the right hand one was the extra socket:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:ExtraSocketInTiles.jpg
(I changed the old socket front at the same time to make sure they both matched in style to make it less obvious one was hacked in later)
With all the extra titting about with the tiles etc, that one took about 40 mins.
[1] Same as I did on a shower valve here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Installing_a_concealed_shower_mixer_valve_ (retrofit)
--
Cheers,

John.

Take the scruffy labels off!
On 19/11/2016 15:41, DerbyBorn wrote:

I had hardly even noticed then until taking the photo... ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
jkn wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPM-XL7774WE-10-Amp-Quad-Power-Point-4-Gang-Socket-Electrical-10A-GPO-outlet-/272117872157?hash=item3f5b7d361d:g:aE8AAOSwX~dWqZ-H
http://tinyurl.com/gujza8m
On 18/11/2016 21:34, jkn wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-3%20gang-dp/17315
Any use?
--
Adam

On 11/18/2016 3:26 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Plus half an hour to remember where you left the green/yellow sleeve? These days I keep lengths of red and green/yellow in every toolbox that contains a wire stripper and screwdriver.
:-)

On 18/11/2016 21:37, newshound wrote:

The bit of sleeve I had just cut and then put down somewhere, yup possibly. However I have a tool box dedicated to electrical jobs, and that has the remains of a 50m pack of the stuff in the bottom of it which I have been working my way through for years now, so its easy to just chop off another bit, since you know the original bit will show up shortly after you cut the new bit ;-)
Now if I could have all those minutes back looking for where I put down my screwdriver, side cutters, an-other tool - when I know it must be right in front of me somewhere... Then I could get some of these things done so much more easily!
(because I could not be bothered to get my tool belt out and I ran out of hand/pocket space)

Yup, I gave up moving stuff between tool boxes, since you always end up needing something that's not where it should be. In the end just duplicated tools if needs be to make each task box "standalone".
--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/11/2016 09:11, John Rumm wrote:

Is that 15 minutes to do the job OR is it 15 minutes to do the job after 6 months of nagging after you promised her "I'll do the job"?
--
Adam

On 19/11/2016 19:26, ARW wrote:

Its usually a case SAS tactics - get in and out without being noticed - that way she won't worry about me causing disruption or making a mess ;-)
(so much better than "you are not going to start doing that now are you?")
--
Cheers,

John.