Quote for a new kitchen

Hello - "Our prices start at £6500." Click.

Simon Mason

what on earth does "start at" mean here? For one cupboard?

When looking for Sofas I found a link "prices start at 299.

that turned out to be the price for the cheapest foot stool and the cheapest sofa was 1700 pounds!

tim

Reply to
tim...

Exactly. He said that the minimum spend was £6500 regardless and then had the cheek to say it was obviously out of my price bracket, so I said th at since I was buying a £32000 new car, he was right and put the phone down.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Our bathroom refit happened over 10 years ago. Having decided that it was going to be a _big job_ and far beyond my diy ability, in any reasonable timescale for a house with only one bathroom, we were surprised how hard it was to persuade firms even to quote.

As one prerequisite was a large double-ended bath into which we could both fit, which would itself fit the room available, this took some finding. Only a few firms would even consider looking at the job, others wanted us to take their "preferred" solution, which did not meet any of our criteria.

Having done 3D CAD layouts, to convince ourselves of what was possible, it was interesting to see the reactions, which ranged from "that's really good, we ought to get something like that" to "but that's what *I* do!"

There was a discussion with a guy from one of the more upmarket outfits, where I ended up telling him that, whilst I accepted his declaration that it was not commercially viable for him to do my job as specified and make any money at it, he must similarly accept that, for the amount it was going to cost me, settling for anything less than what we wanted would be completely pointless, and waste a great deal of money.

In the end we found folk to do the work, got on well with them, and are very pleased with the end result, which we would not have achieved without a lot of homework, dogged insistence on what we wanted, and detail supervision of the execution.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Their website says from £6049 for 14 units, incl fitting.

Reply to
GB

£430 per unit? What are they made from, teak?
Reply to
Simon Mason

They say they are made to measure, rigid carcass. Plus, that seems to include worktops. These are expensive units, but just possibly the quality justifies that price?

Reply to
GB

We're all in trouble if chipboard becomes 'quality.'

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not surprising - unless it was a firm you'd used. A quote costs the firm who produce it. And they've probably found out how few result in the job going to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)