"Shotgun" satellite cable opinions.

Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one. Nice new high gain LNB as well.

Currently I'm reusing the 20+ year old old cabling, but given I would really like to re-route it am inclined to replace that too.

I see dual (so called "shotgun") cable is readily available. Much thinner, and more flexible. Just the job for an easy install.

Is there any valid reason to be concerned about this cable? Instinctively I have reservations. Is this rational, or not?

Reply to
Vortex12

It will be fine. Just be sure to get the correct F connectors.

Reply to
Graham.

There's nothing wrong with shotgun cable, but if it's thinner than ordinary it will have a higher attentuation which may be a problem with low signal areas or long runs.

Personally I'm not a fan of it as I think it bends/kinks too easily.

Consider running to all 4 ports on the LNB now as it saves going up the ladder again later.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Assuming we are talking about a Sky/Freesat dish there shouldn't be any low signal areas if the dish is fully illuminated and a zone2 used in Scotland. The LNB is effectively a masthead amp for the IF signal in the cable, so it's a more robust medium than you think.

Reply to
Graham.

Actually it's a zone 2 in southern UK. About 15 metres between dish and Receiver(s).

Planning to ditch Sky after Christmas for Freesat, but I installed a latest 6 way Sky branded "hybrid" LNB to retain future option of Sky Q and also keep existing Sky box usable just in case.....

Think I'll go shotgun for the cabling for ease of installation.

Reply to
Vortex13

Yes it's OK for runs upto about 20m because the LNB amplifies the signal to a level far higher than the receiver needs.

Bill (satellite installer 1986 to 2015)

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just for the record the Shotgun cable works fine for me.

Cable run about 15M shows 100% signal strength at receiver.

I have to say the connector installation is a bit fiddly compared with full size cable. Very easy to "short" the connector without noticing (or maybe I need an eye test).

Reply to
Vortex12