Subject Author Posted Replies

Electronic water softeners e.g. Vulcan 3000 - how effective? (2023 Update)
I have moderately hard water and it would be good to use a water softener. I like the idea of an electronic one that doesn't add chemicals. It descale s the pipes and taps as I understand. Vulcan 3000...
64
64

How does a volume control work now?
On car and home HiFi I have a knob to control the volume. It is not a variable resistor - it turns infinately. I guess is somehow creates a proportional and directional signal to the amplifier - but...
21
21

Antique Furniture Care
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+...
8
8

Slalom
Is it so hard to park on the same side as other people?! Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
4
4

OT:YouTube "casting"
WE occasionally watch YouTube videos on our SmartTV, via it's app. I recently investigated the pair TV with smartphone (on my case tablet) app feature. Very impressed - nice to be able to control via...
2
2

Intelligent AAA battery charger
I would like to buy an intelligent battery charger mainly for AAA batteries but also AA and Li-IOn 18650 would be nice, but not essential. Is there anything better than this 7dayshop product:
4
4

3D Viewer on 3D TV
Does anyone know of any software that will take a 3D model (ideally from something like Sketchup) and display it on a 3D screen so that it can be viwed with 3D glasses? I don't necessarily want to do...
3
3

OT: Global temperatures plummeting
or A couple of caveats: These are measurements made by satellite over land. Lower troposphere temperatures recorded by satellite have never shown the same rise in temperatures as the so-called and...
88
88

Correct tool for the job Pt7
Went to some open day at a stately home yesterday which was full of phony s kint toffs, so decided to visit the Woolly Wolstenholme Memorial Bench. One of my boyhood heroes who played Mellotron with...

Front wipers come on but won't go to back to park
I have a nissan almera tino 1.8 2005 my front wiper will come on but won't go off till I turn ignition off. Can someone help
5
5

Greedy Braun
Originally it was possible to buy just the replacement foil for your Braun electric razor for about £5. Dear enough for a piece of pierced metal. Then they brougt a new improved razor but one could...
25
25

Cabling behind dry walling
My daughter wants some cables for the TV buried in the wall which I am hopi ng to get away with just pushing them down in the gap. However it looks lik e I will need to add a spur socket behind the TV...
3
3

Belt sanders - will cheap and cheerful do what I want?
I have a couple of doors on my boat and sundry other bits of woodwork that need the flaking varnish removed before starting again. I have detail sanders and an 'orbital' sander (doesn't go round and...
4
4

OT: "All up: No reserves"
Looking at gridwatch and BM reports, I am reminded of the scene in 'Battle of Britain' in the RAF control room when someone asks 'what reserves have we got' and the reply is 'all up sir' Demand is...
99
99

OT: Plastic moulding.
OT - but maybe less OT than most posts here. Old car has the common enough plastic lenses to the sidelights which are screwed in place. Just a plain plastic (of some sort) moulding. And they are...
16
16