Electronic water softeners e.g. Vulcan 3000 - how effective?

I have moderately hard water and it would be good to use a water softener. I like the idea of an electronic one that doesn't add chemicals. It descale s the pipes and taps as I understand.
Vulcan 3000 has been recommended to me by my bathroom showroom. It's around £600 and there are cheaper alternatives.
So - how effective is an electronic descaler? Anyone have experiences and v iews?
On 30/11/2016 11:21, Eusebius wrote:

Just the same as most other sorts of overpriced "chemical free" snake oil sold mainly to separate the worried well from their money.
http://www.waterionizer.org/products/hard-water-treatment/vulcan-3000-descaler.html
(not a recommendation)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Or use block salt, much easier to handle. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but worth it, in my opinion, due to the location of the softener.
--
Davey.

Or changing expensive cartridges of, um, salt.. and filter materials.
No there is not an easy fix. In my humble view this is a failing of the water industry. We of course have no proof that hard water is harmful, but it does make one wonder that if the taps and pipes scale up in this way, what the heck does it do to the bodys internal plumbing. Look inside your kettle to see how much scale just gets there.
Brian
--
----- -
On 30/11/2016 17:39, Brian Gaff wrote:

Very little effect in humans at all. Human stomach contains hydrochloric acid and calcium chloride is quite soluble.
We *need* soluble calcium and magnesium for healthy bones.
Very soft water or worse still deionised water can be bad for you.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 18:10:07 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

I have a water softener, it cost £1300 fitted and we drink bottled min eral water.
On 30/11/2016 6:13 PM, Simon Mason wrote:

Simon, look on Youtube for Bottled Water pH. There are some bad bottled waters and a few good.
...Ray.
On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 18:55:30 UTC, RayL12 wrote:

mineral water.

We are using San Pellegrino at the moment and I add CaSO4 to home brew wate r.
On 30/11/2016 7:26 PM, Simon Mason wrote:

Besides raising a temperature, what is the benefit in brew water?
On 30/11/2016 20:57, RayL12 wrote:

Burtonisation. Wikipedia has an explanation.
Cheers
--
Syd

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 20:57:30 UTC, RayL12 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing_methods#Burtonisation

There isnt a shred of rigorous evidence that the pH of the water you drink actually matters a damn within limits and that isnt surprising given that the stomach contains hydrochloric acid at considerable concentrations given the burning of the throat you can get with reflux etc.
Just because someone claims something on youtube...
On 02/12/2016 3:52 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

Thank you for all your research on this matter, Rod.
On 30/11/2016 18:13, Simon Mason wrote:

You have to get your bacteria somewhere and bottled water is a good source.

No you don’t, you are in fact born with it.

Like hell it is.
On 30/11/2016 10:36 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

Your are NOT born with any amount of bacteria. The first bacteria a new born gets is from the vaginal lining. The next and most essential source is breast milk. There after, naturally grown foods.
wrote

Yes.

Not just naturally grown foods, all foods.
And from sucking their thumbs and putting almost everything that fits into their mouths, etc etc etc.

Mad waste of money on both counts.
On Friday, 2 December 2016 03:40:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

mineral

Wrong as usual.
http://www.hullwatersofteners.co.uk/totally-soft-water/save-time